German IPAs

Reads 3267 • Replies 18 • Started Sunday, August 26, 2012 8:07:54 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 13:10 Tue 8/28/2012

Fritz Ale IPA Special 2 was pretty decent, loads of Citra in that I reckon...

But although I applaud some brewers attempting to shake up the German beer market from it’s (self enforced) sleep, do we really need to clone IPA’s in the US mould the way the Danes have done? Surely something more... well, German... would be a good first step?

ganache
beers 6773 º places 282 º 13:14 Tue 8/28/2012

Is it better to shock consumers into realizing what is possible? Or to pull them along slowly, by degrees? Perhaps there’s room for both approaches.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 02:08 Wed 8/29/2012

Originally posted by Gazza

But although I applaud some brewers attempting to shake up the German beer market from it’s (self enforced) sleep, do we really need to clone IPA’s in the US mould the way the Danes have done? Surely something more... well, German... would be a good first step?

To the first question: Nein. To the second: such as?

I’d personally like to see my local Franconian brewers offer hoppy half-stout and trans-global half-IPA.

rpattinson
beers 84 º 00:11 Sun 9/2/2012

Couldn’t agree more. Lichtenhainer, Grätzer, Broyhan and Keute: why doesn’t anyone give these styles a go? Way more interesting than boring IPAs.

Marko
admin
beers 17890 º places 879 º 04:36 Sun 9/2/2012

Originally posted by rpattinson

Couldn’t agree more. Lichtenhainer, Grätzer, Broyhan and Keute: why doesn’t anyone give these styles a go? Way more interesting than boring IPAs.

Frankly, I’m surprised that Briem didn’t give them a go yet.

rpattinson
beers 84 º 22:27 Wed 9/5/2012

Originally posted by Marko
Originally posted by rpattinson

Given what a terrible job he made of Berliner Weisse, I’m glad he hasn’t.
Frankly, I’m surprised that Briem didn’t give them a go yet.

Marko
admin
beers 17890 º places 879 º 01:30 Thu 9/6/2012

Heh, even though I didn’t dislike it as a beer, I know what you mean...

Still, it might be good - he’d bring them to a more global attention, people seem to love his beers, and as long as it would lead to people seeking out and trying to recreate what’s left of their recipes instead of cloning his (if it would’t be what it’s supposed to be), then the mission would be successful.

churchyard
20:21 Tue 9/11/2012

I would love to see the old styles. Wish someone would try it!