Goose Island

Reads 2765 • Replies 30 • Started Monday, April 16, 2012 3:59:06 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

eboats
beers 1083 º places 32 º 15:59 Mon 4/16/2012

Since the whole AB thing has anyone noticed a difference in quality in any of the beers? I haven’t yet.

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 19:51 Mon 4/16/2012

I sure noticed a decrease in the quality of food at the brewpub

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 19:53 Mon 4/16/2012

Originally posted by BBB63

Brewpubs were not included in the deal.

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 20:04 Mon 4/16/2012

Originally posted by TheAlum
Originally posted by BBB63

Brewpubs were not included in the deal.

well... I still noticed the changes at the brewpub.

Perhaps the cash flow is not a good without the bigger brewery, so they have been cutting corners?

dontcounttoday
beers 3 º 20:33 Mon 4/16/2012

^ I think people here news like this and let it effect the way they perceive every detail about the company from that point forward. I was just at the brewpub today. I got the same burger I have in the past several times, and it was exactly the same. The soup was fantastic. They also had many, many new beers on tap that I had never seen, including a large variety of collaborations. The stouts list was short, but thats ok, they had Juliet and even Virtue’s RedStreak. Great food, great beer, great night.

Also, I do not expect you would see any changes in their brews this early in the buyout. If BCBS drops in awesomeness by 2014 then we will be looking at a trend. I hope this does not happen.

User37895
beers 3085 º places 92 º 21:26 Mon 4/16/2012

Sigh.

Papsoe
beers 25039 º places 4 º 23:36 Mon 4/16/2012

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 05:22 Tue 4/17/2012

Originally posted by Papsoe
Goose Island one year after

That was a great read!

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 06:18 Tue 4/17/2012

It’s hard for me to say if there’s a difference. I had some fresh ipa a few months ago I believe was made out east and it didn’t have much fresh hop character (at least not as much as before). And Harvest time and Mild Winter weren’t as good but the seasonal stuff has always varied a little so it’s probably just off years. However I find this years Summertime to be their best one yet. BCS and the coffee were at their best this year. The fulton and wood Helles was spot on. And the special one offs at fests have been up to par. That’s all I’ve had since the sale.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 06:38 Tue 4/17/2012

Originally posted by dontcounttoday
^ I think people here news like this and let it effect the way they perceive every detail about the company from that point forward. I was just at the brewpub today. I got the same burger I have in the past several times, and it was exactly the same. The soup was fantastic. They also had many, many new beers on tap that I had never seen, including a large variety of collaborations. The stouts list was short, but thats ok, they had Juliet and even Virtue’s RedStreak. Great food, great beer, great night.

Also, I do not expect you would see any changes in their brews this early in the buyout. If BCBS drops in awesomeness by 2014 then we will be looking at a trend. I hope this does not happen.

Actually, you’re wrong about the food. They have had changes. They are trying to do more than they are capable of. I remember when they first brought on the changes to make it more like a gastropub. This was 3-4 years ago. The food went from being really solid pub food to being pretty mediocre gastropub food. They do occasionally make some standouts (the Cuban is pretty solid), but the burgers are exactly the same. Which is kind of the problem. I would have guessed that when they increased the price by $4, they would have used better meat. Also, regarding the beer, there absolutely has been a change. They shipped out production of 312 and IPA, as well as Honkers to the Red Hook plant out east in Portsmouth. They had to bring it back to Fulton due to system being completely different. I have head, however, that once they figure out how to optimize the system for Goose IPA, it should actually be better due to the way that the system handles the dry hop. At any rate, there were/are differences between the plants and product and, at this point, they are trying to get the beer to taste as close to the same as they can between the two. Regardless, I think the sale, thus far, has worked out great. AB has kept out for the most part.

eboats
beers 1083 º places 32 º 08:11 Tue 4/17/2012

Impostor tweeter @gooseislandpr had a brief, but exceptionally snarky run on Twitter, championing new Goose Island brands such as zero-calorie Pepe Zero, lime-infused MaCHILLda, a 31.2-calore rehash of 312, and energy-infused Pere Jacked.

That was funny