Guidebook to Lithuanian beer

Reads 6777 • Replies 36 • Started Sunday, November 9, 2014 4:35:04 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

larsga
beers 7693 º places 245 º 09:55 Wed 11/12/2014

Thank you all once more. :)

Beersiveknown: Donations aren’t necessary, but Amazon reviews are very welcome. :)

Phil: would be very happy to meet you in Lithuania (or anywhere). I’m going there for the Zmogsala festival last weekend in February...

Rune: Så februar kunne jo være en ide. :)

Marko: As far as I know the brewpub is still named Prie Katedros. I think it’s the company that owns it that’s called UAB Avilys. I can check next time I’m in Vilnius.

Marko: If you want to fix Lithuanian matters, you may want to split Apynys, because it’s actually two breweries (both in Kaunas). I sent a feedback form about it a couple of weeks ago.

Marko: Oh, and if you ever get tired of hunting duplicates manually, let me know. There are ways to automate this stuff.

ClubGonzo
beers 5677 º places 35 º 14:14 Thu 11/13/2014

Better late than never: I add to the applause Lars Marius, great job!

Looking forward to your upcoming lecture on Norwegian farmhouse styles at Bergen Ølfestival next year!

Marko
admin
beers 18479 º places 896 º 18:08 Thu 11/13/2014

Originally posted by larsga
Marko: As far as I know the brewpub is still named Prie Katedros. I think it’s the company that owns it that’s called UAB Avilys. I can check next time I’m in Vilnius.

Marko: If you want to fix Lithuanian matters, you may want to split Apynys, because it’s actually two breweries (both in Kaunas). I sent a feedback form about it a couple of weeks ago.

Marko: Oh, and if you ever get tired of hunting duplicates manually, let me know. There are ways to automate this stuff.

Ok, no problem, then it should be a new entry (Avilys)

Apynys? Ok, will check that out.

We do have an automated way of finding them. Only we don’t use it that often it seems. :)

Marduk
beers 23287 º places 1042 º 21:54 Fri 11/21/2014

WOW! That was entertaining read. And whole thing about inconsistency in .lt beer became much clearer to me. It’s not me after all it’s them! I’ve had several Lithuanian beers in me life, but only last summer in Kaunas I started to realize the beauty in them.
One thing I didn’t notice and maybe worth for further research are so called malt drinks. These are massively sweet (sub)type of kvass. Latvians have some too, but lots of them are not naturally fermented. We do not have these traditions in Estonia, although we do brew kvass (Kali). Where are the roots of those brews?

cheap
beers 8945 º places 329 º 06:25 Sat 11/22/2014

Nice.....

was always curious about Rinkuškiai, now a little more informed

574deadzone
beers 1420 º places 11 º 07:04 Sat 11/22/2014

This was a great read. The integration of Lithuanian history and geography into the story of the beer there really helped paint a picture of how and why the beer styles emerged as they did. I’m always curious about the history behind beer, and this work definitely pleads Lithuania’s case effectively as a destination. It seems in the States, we have sort of a comical impression of Eastern European beers because the few that are distributed here are industrial lagers (and super-lagers), so it’s nice to see something more in-depth that puts the true beer culture of LIthuania in perspective. Thank you for researching and writing this!