Hasenpfeffer

Reads 1776 • Replies 7 • Started Sunday, July 17, 2016 11:58:37 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

muzzlehatch
beers 4975 º places 327 º 23:58 Sun 7/17/2016

A couple of nights ago I made hasenpfeffer - which for those benighted folks who don’t know their traditional old German dishes is basically a rabbit stew, with (in the recipe I used) red wine, shallots, bacon, pepper, garlic, a few other things - and spaetzle and beets with a honey-vinegar-mustard glaze. Now, I just drank the same wine (a cheap malbec) along with the meal that I had used in making it, but I’m curious as to what a good beer choice would have been? I’m thinking something like a doppelbock.

Expect to see me in this forum a bit, assuming I have the time to post much that is - cooking a lot these days.

Hmm... a Flanders Red?

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 08:13 Mon 7/18/2016

Go Full Flemish on it and dare to cook and pair with Oude Kriek, Konijn in Geuze style.

In our series, get to know your Flemish language and cuisine classics:
This guy is known to use 3F Oude Kriek going by his grandma’s recipe:
http://www.een.be/programmas/dagelijkse-kost/recepten/konijn-van-moe-rotselaar

GTAEgeek
beers 5640 º places 552 º 10:22 Mon 7/18/2016

My only experience with Hassenpfeffer was paired with a La Trappe Isid’or. Admittedly, both were fantastic, but it wasn’t much of a pairing.

whaleman
beers 2178 º places 25 º 10:24 Mon 7/18/2016

Weizenbock comes to mind. Schlemiel and schlimazel also come to mind, but for different reasons.

Originally posted by whaleman
Weizenbock comes to mind. Schlemiel and schlimazel also come to mind, but for different reasons.

Just a guess...

muzzlehatch
beers 4975 º places 327 º 19:13 Mon 7/18/2016

Alas I never watched Laverne & Shirley despite it’s connection to one of my home states... :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Lambic sounds intriguing but there is very little of it available here - I’m thinking if I make this again and am still living in Wisconsin, there’d probably be few better choices if I want something sour than one of New Glarus’ fruit beers, which would certainly work well in the cooking and I think would go nicely in serving.

SpringsLicker
beers 4002 º places 158 º 19:33 Mon 7/18/2016

Originally posted by muzzlehatch
Alas I never watched Laverne & Shirley despite it’s connection to one of my home states... :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Lambic sounds intriguing but there is very little of it available here - I’m thinking if I make this again and am still living in Wisconsin, there’d probably be few better choices if I want something sour than one of New Glarus’ fruit beers, which would certainly work well in the cooking and I think would go nicely in serving.

Are you able to find any Enigma there? That might work