How much do you tip at brewpub?

Reads 8652 • Replies 124 • Started Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:08:13 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

fiulijn
beers 28351 º places 745 º 01:10 Wed 2/22/2012

The topic that gets me mad every time I visit N.A. ...

How do you feel about the restaurants that hand you the credit card reader, that has precoded a tip of 18%, and as if that was not enough, the 18% is calculated on the amount AFTER taxes?!?

They expect you to tip the tax... great!

kryptic
02:36 Wed 2/22/2012

Originally posted by ketchepillar
Food is usually 18-20%. Shitty service gets 10%, but that is quite rare.

Why in the hell would you tip for shitty service? Thats retarded...

evilempire
beers 162 º places 110 º 03:54 Wed 2/22/2012

Originally posted by digita7693
I don’t tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I’ll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it’s for the birds. As far as I’m concerned, they’re just doing their job.

i think when that film came out in the UK, most people just thought, ’exactly’

we don’t have the tipping culture (restaurants, but that’s about it - and even then it’s expected that a tip will be earned), so my first trip to America I probably inadvertantly insulted quite a few barmen - it just didn’t occur to me that when paying for a pint at $6-7 (about £3.50 at the time, nearly £5 now, when good beer around here is under £3) I was expected to pay another dollar on top! and like Mr Pink, I don’t really see the point of paying someone extra to do the job they’re already paid to do (I’ve worked in pubs, never expected tips, had a beer bought for me now and then but that’s about it).

that said, once in Czech republic we got such bad service we left a tip of 1 hellas - worth about 0.03c... (plus paid the bill with as much loose change as we could get together - it was quite a mountain of coins!)

kryptic
04:01 Wed 2/22/2012

Originally posted by evilempire
I don’t tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I’ll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it’s for the birds. As far as I’m concerned, they’re just doing their job.

we don’t have the tipping culture (restaurants, but that’s about it - and even then it’s expected that a tip will be earned), so my first trip to America I probably inadvertantly insulted quite a few barmen - it just didn’t occur to me that when paying for a pint at $6-7 (about £3.50 at the time, nearly £5 now, when good beer around here is under £3) I was expected to pay another dollar on top! and like Mr Pink, I don’t really see the point of paying someone extra to do the job they’re already paid to do (I’ve worked in pubs, never expected tips, had a beer bought for me now and then but that’s about it).

He also makes a goo point about McDonalds. People working at places like McDs are usually working a hell of a lot harder than the waitress at the cushy restaurant, and are also working in much harsher conditions most times. In addition, they make such shit pay, that even working full time at a place like McD you still need to supplement it with welfare just in order to survive. And most fast food employees IME don’t have the sense of entitlement that workers at "tipping" jobs seem to have these days. And yet, nobody feels the need to tip them.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 05:18 Wed 2/22/2012

Beer only = dollar a beer, unless I get exceptional service, I’ll throw an extra dollar on

Food = minimum 20%

msulinski
05:34 Wed 2/22/2012

For those of you saying you don’t tip because the bartender/waiter is "just doing their job," keep in mind that they are also getting paid an hourly rate less than minimum wage due to the fact that they are expected to make more when the tips are added in.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 05:57 Wed 2/22/2012

Originally posted by msulinski
For those of you saying you don’t tip because the bartender/waiter is "just doing their job," keep in mind that they are also getting paid an hourly rate less than minimum wage due to the fact that they are expected to make more when the tips are added in.

Except in California, where they make at least minimum wage.

robrules
places 1 º 06:14 Wed 2/22/2012

Originally posted by kryptic
Originally posted by evilempire

He also makes a goo point about McDonalds. People working at places like McDs are usually working a hell of a lot harder than the waitress at the cushy restaurant, and are also working in much harsher conditions most times. In addition, they make such shit pay, that even working full time at a place like McD you still need to supplement it with welfare just in order to survive. And most fast food employees IME don’t have the sense of entitlement that workers at "tipping" jobs seem to have these days. And yet, nobody feels the need to tip them.

McDonald’s workers probably get paid at least twice the hourly rate as your average bartender/waitstaff at a brewpub because in is not expected that they will recieve tips. Wait staff at restaurants are expected to earn tips, therefore base hourly rate is very low.

robrules
places 1 º 06:24 Wed 2/22/2012

Sounds like the OP is trying to justify being cheap based on the type and amount of cash in his pocket - ever think about asking for change for a $5 bill? Ever think about adding the tip to the credit card slip? The fact that you had the post tells me you feel guilty about and are looking for people to agree with you to make yourself feel better about your cheapness.

You know the proper ettiquette when eating out in this country - and that includes tourists (as if you did zero research on our customs before visiting )- if you can’t afford a proper tip go somewhere you can afford - or if you feel it doesn’t apply to you because of your feigned ignorance, you are just being a cheap asshole.

BTW, I have never worked as a waiter, and I’m a cheap bastard, but at least I have enough sense to do the right thing.

Ernesto987
beers 6082 º places 104 º 06:36 Wed 2/22/2012

When I worked as a bouncer I made $10 an hour, the bartenders made $400 a night. The stuff I had to carry was much heavier... They are way overpaid with this much tipping