I hate IPA’s

Reads 7074 • Replies 34 • Started Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:56:50 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TirpChirp
beers 17 º 09:56 Tue 3/25/2014

It’s not that I don’t like hops or a quality IPA every once in a while it just seems like home brewers, craft brewers, and micro brewers have this "me against the world" mentality of creating beer that is so bitter and esoteric so only the diehards can enjoy it.

Don’t get me wrong a well done beer, no matter the IBU’s is enjoyable, but it’s not good. Beer should not be exclusive like fine wines or expensive scotches. It’s for the masses. (Perfect example, beer was banned from the royal wedding in 2011)

So please, stop dry hopping, stop doubling the amount of hops a recipe calls for, and stop buying hops with alpha or beta acid ratings of over 10%.

Never stop innovating, but don’t be a snob. Bitter beer does not make you classy or niche, it just makes you seem pretentious.

Rant over.

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 10:02 Tue 3/25/2014

IPA’s what?

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 10:04 Tue 3/25/2014

Not sure an IPA can be esoteric in this country, too many people love the style.

If my favorite breweries stopped making the things you talk about, they would not be my favorites anymore.

After many years, IPA is still my thing all the time.

rennat42
beers 5370 º places 205 º 10:05 Tue 3/25/2014

IPAs are hit or miss with me. I either really enjoy them or really hate them. Cigar City Humidor IPA is the only one I have found that I could drink all the time. However, even worse than IPAs are APAs for me. I hate APAs through and through. Which is kind of odd because most people seem to use APAs as a stepping stone to IPAs from what I have seen.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 10:06 Tue 3/25/2014

I hate bitterness in IPAs as well. Really dig what brewers are doing with late additions w/certain hop types. Maybe check those out.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 10:09 Tue 3/25/2014

This whole discussion makes me bitter.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40899 º places 1239 º 10:10 Tue 3/25/2014

My insider at the palace told me they shipped in 6 kegs of pliny the elder for the evening reception!

Reynolds314
beers 3472 º places 41 º 10:13 Tue 3/25/2014

Your points seem a bit scattered. IPAs are trending away from bittering hops because I think brewers realize people like them less bitter. The trend now is dry hopping (which you are also against for some reason) and late addition hopping which make beer aromatic and tasty without the bitterness. Isnt that a good thing? Also arent locally available IPAs one of the types of beers that fit into the mold of "for the masses" that you are looking for? Hugely popular style that is approachable and affordable. Getting growlers of locally filled IPAs at a reasonable price seems to be whats right about the current direction of craft beer.

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 10:20 Tue 3/25/2014

You make some great points here. Let’s see if this changes the current trend in craft beer. Oh...the current trend is lower bitterness in hoppy pales. Wow, you are good!

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 10:26 Tue 3/25/2014

Originally posted by RABinVA
IPA’s what?

IPA’s omnipresen’c.

TirpChirp
beers 17 º 10:27 Tue 3/25/2014

Originally posted by Reynolds314
Your points seem a bit scattered. IPAs are trending away from bittering hops because I think brewers realize people like them less bitter. The trend now is dry hopping (which you are also against for some reason) and late addition hopping which make beer aromatic and tasty without the bitterness. Isnt that a good thing? Also arent locally available IPAs one of the types of beers that fit into the mold of "for the masses" that you are looking for? Hugely popular style that is approachable and affordable. Getting growlers of locally filled IPAs at a reasonable price seems to be whats right about the current direction of craft beer.

Can’t disagree with you, my ideas were scattered and some did clash with others. I think I was just trying to say it’s such an exciting time for beer with all the craft brewery startups over the past decade or so and so many more people home brewing that I just wish other styles and ways to make beer were more popular.

To put it simply, I feel like the answer for everything recently for small brewers has been just add more hops.

This rant was started cause I read about Pierre Celis, who saved the wit beer style from going extinct.