Infected Deliverance?

Reads 10579 • Replies 74 • Started Friday, February 15, 2013 7:05:12 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

GCONLEY
08:33 Mon 2/18/2013

Hello Everyone - Apparently you all have infected 2012 Bourbon Angel’s Share and 2012 Deliverance. I can tell you that every single one of these barrels was sampled and had micro testing on them. If a barrel comes back with a positive for either wild yeast or bacteria it is dumped down the drain. Once the barrels are filtered into the Beer Brite Tank, micro testing is done again to confirm there is no contamination of wild yeast or bacteria. After the beer is packaged, micro testing is done on a bottle from the begin, middle, and end of the run. These beers are not packaged with the same equipment as any of our sour beers, to also eliminate the possibility of contamination. I have pulled bottles from our supply and we all gladly did a sensory check this morning and neither the Angel’s Share or the Deliverance tastes infected. I will redo all of the micro testing to ensure that they are not infected. If you feel that you have an infected bottle that is unopened I do want to hear from you.

Gwen Conley
Director of Production and Quality
Port Brewing / The Lost Abbey

Sarlacc83
beers 2662 º places 111 º 08:48 Mon 2/18/2013

Looking at my review, I didn’t sense any off-tastes leading me to think it was infected.

budznsudz
beers 584 º places 9 º 08:49 Mon 2/18/2013

Originally posted by GCONLEY
Hello Everyone - Apparently you all have infected 2012 Bourbon Angel’s Share and 2012 Deliverance. I can tell you that every single one of these barrels was sampled and had micro testing on them. If a barrel comes back with a positive for either wild yeast or bacteria it is dumped down the drain. Once the barrels are filtered into the Beer Brite Tank, micro testing is done again to confirm there is no contamination of wild yeast or bacteria. After the beer is packaged, micro testing is done on a bottle from the begin, middle, and end of the run. These beers are not packaged with the same equipment as any of our sour beers, to also eliminate the possibility of contamination. I have pulled bottles from our supply and we all gladly did a sensory check this morning and neither the Angel’s Share or the Deliverance tastes infected. I will redo all of the micro testing to ensure that they are not infected. If you feel that you have an infected bottle that is unopened I do want to hear from you.

Gwen Conley
Director of Production and Quality
Port Brewing / The Lost Abbey

I’m not making it up. I want to love your beer. However, 4 bottles in a row purchased in NJ have been infected so far. I even let 4 or 5 people around me sample it to make sure I wasn’t crazy. It tastes like sour grapes, wine, etc. it tastes nothing like a barrel aged stout. I cracked open an older viscosity the same night and it was perfect. You can say all you want about extensively testing it, but it doesn’t change the facts or help the situation. Maybe something happened on the trip east. One thing is absolutely certain, 4 bottles in a row of 2012 have been infected and I’ve had to pour close to $90 down the sink. There are so many seperate accounts of the same problem that the evidence is overwhelming. Is this a conspiracy? Are we all lying? Send me a beer mail and I’ll give you all the info I can. I’ve been trying to write to you all weekend but your website server is not responding.

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 09:08 Mon 2/18/2013

Originally posted by budznsudz
4 bottles in a row of 2012 have been infected and I’ve had to pour close to $90 down the sink.

Consider yourself lucky and a lesson learned. $90 is nothing compared to all the money wasted on the sinners clubs. Allow the next guy to buy their flawed products and move on. Plenty of better and cheaper beers out there. Lost Abbey QC issues are nothing new and will probably continue to happen.

TooManyBeers
beers 2 º 09:10 Mon 2/18/2013

We have nothing better to do but waste our time and money buying Lost Abbey beer at $17 a pop just to feed our local sewer rats.

Bottom line solution; Don’t ever buy from "Lost Sales" again.

joeneugs
beers 6372 º places 240 º 10:59 Mon 2/18/2013

To be fair, I’ve only heard of these problems with Angels Share and now Deliverance. The vast majority of their beers have always been fine for me. Red Barn, Devotion, Carnevale are all tasty and their (intentional) sours are stellar. Not to mention the Port line... to boycott the entire brand just because of one or two problem beers would be overdoing it IMO. Unless you hate all the other beers as well.

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 13:44 Mon 2/18/2013

Originally posted by joeneugs
To be fair, I’ve only heard of these problems with Angels Share and now Deliverance. The vast majority of their beers have always been fine for me. Red Barn, Devotion, Carnevale are all tasty and their (intentional) sours are stellar. Not to mention the Port line... to boycott the entire brand just because of one or two problem beers would be overdoing it IMO. Unless you hate all the other beers as well.

they’ve had many problems (mostly infected, flat, extremely low carbonation levels, and/or oxidized) in various bottle offerings for several years now. It hasn’t just been deliverance or angels share. The problems have been in non-barrel aged 22oz and 750s as well. It’s more than enough for me to avoid buying any of their bottles again.

egajdzis
beers 9959 º places 49 º 14:22 Mon 2/18/2013

Originally posted by drewbeerme

they’ve had many problems (mostly infected, flat, extremely low carbonation levels, and/or oxidized) in various bottle offerings for several years now. It hasn’t just been deliverance or angels share. The problems have been in non-barrel aged 22oz and 750s as well. It’s more than enough for me to avoid buying any of their bottles again.

Really? What else besides Angel’s Share and Deliverance?

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 14:36 Mon 2/18/2013

Originally posted by egajdzis
Originally posted by drewbeerme

Really? What else besides Angel’s Share and Deliverance?

I had an issue with Hop 15 the first time I had it right after they launched in Chicago. Was also an issue with sinner’s blend ’10 (which they said it was "supposed" to be petillant but it came off as more still than that).

boxofrane
beers 2559 º places 53 º 14:53 Mon 2/18/2013

Hop 15 is a fun brew. Sorry you got a poor one. I can attest to having many bottles of that without an issue.