Just checked out the top 50 beers from Alberta

Reads 429 • Replies 10 • Started Tuesday, December 13, 2016 12:07:57 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

VertBaconStrips
beers 2445 º places 4 º 00:07 Tue 12/13/2016

Sad.

https://www.ratebeer.com/top/all/canada/alberta

And I get shit on for slagging on this stuff.

fiulijn
beers 28351 º places 745 º 00:24 Tue 12/13/2016

Whatever...
I need the 3 IIPAs that are in the first 4 spots!

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 10:08 Tue 12/13/2016

Alberta admittedly has been behind the craft beer curve, but we are rapidly moving forward. I don’t shit on you buddy, but I don’t tend to complain, nor do I feed into negative dialogue about craft beer (just not my nature).

Maybe it’s time you move to BC? Better mountain biking there too..

fiulijn
beers 28351 º places 745 º 13:35 Tue 12/13/2016

BC was very mediocre as well just 2-3 years ago, but I really feel the improvement now.
I have numbers in my database, I just need to pull them out.

More beers brewed every week; more local standouts; more imports.

I’m totally fine when breweries sell very boring beers, because some customers just want simple blond lagers, ambers, or fruity drinks, maybe to go with their burger.
But even without aiming to become the new Portland or California, we still have some room for improvement.
For example, it’s still accepted in Vancouver to sell seriously infected beers, and this is totally wrong.
And creativity in Vancouver means "throw that thing into the beer even if we all know it won’t be good", or "let’s brew another collaboration California Common to celebrate Vancouver Craft Beer Week".

And there is even a group of people who think that only good things should be said about local beer, because it’s local.
Way to go! with this attitude lots of people are never helped to understand which beers/breweries they should leave behind.

So, hopefully AB is on the same positive trend as well!

jercraigs
beers 14885 º places 1051 º 18:51 Wed 12/14/2016

https://www.ratebeer.com/top/all/canada/ontario
Lowest score is 3.72 vs 3.6 for BC. :)

Wait - 3,84 for Quebec?!? Wow!

dfearnley
beers 3422 º 03:17 Thu 12/15/2016

Wow...Alberta’s #1 is .5 below Ontario’s #50. However, it’s good to see some of the newer breweries pushing into the list and climbing up.

dresden
beers 1581 º places 119 º 08:03 Thu 12/15/2016

Don’t forget about weighted averages. Alberta has plenty of beers where the mean rating is quite a bit higher than the weighted average.

fiulijn
beers 28351 º places 745 º 15:22 Thu 12/15/2016

This calls for some analysis!

Ratings accumulated by the top 50 beers:
BC: 3,699
ON: 3,875
QC: 17,336
So, QC gets some benefit, because with higher ratecount the score doesn’t get corrected that much.

Number of styles represented:
BC: 16
ON: 12
QC: 20
So, medal to QC for making good beers also in less safe styles

Styles count BC:
19 IPA/IIPA
5 Black IPA
8 Sour Blond/Dark
4 Barley Wine
4 Imperial Stout

Styles count ON:
18 IPA/IIPA
16 Imperial Stout/Porter
6 Sour Blond

Styles count QC:
10 Imperial Stout/Porter
9 IPA/IIPA
8 Belgian Strong/Tripel/Quad
6 Sour Blond

Rather than calling out the diversity of BC, I would say that there is a serious lack of good Imperial Stouts/Porters here, while not surprisingly QC stands out for its good strong Belgian beers.
At first I was glad to see 4 BWs from BC; but looking at scores of 3.6 and above (the BC Top 50 lowest score), QC has 15 BWs, and ON has 0!

Beers rated by fiulijn ;-)
BC: 50
ON: 20
QC: 22

CapFlu
beers 5136 º places 238 º 16:42 Thu 12/15/2016

Originally posted by fiulijn
BC was very mediocre as well just 2-3 years ago, but I really feel the improvement now.
I have numbers in my database, I just need to pull them out.

More beers brewed every week; more local standouts; more imports.

I’m totally fine when breweries sell very boring beers, because some customers just want simple blond lagers, ambers, or fruity drinks, maybe to go with their burger.
But even without aiming to become the new Portland or California, we still have some room for improvement.
For example, it’s still accepted in Vancouver to sell seriously infected beers, and this is totally wrong.
And creativity in Vancouver means "throw that thing into the beer even if we all know it won’t be good", or "let’s brew another collaboration California Common to celebrate Vancouver Craft Beer Week".

And there is even a group of people who think that only good things should be said about local beer, because it’s local.
Way to go! with this attitude lots of people are never helped to understand which beers/breweries they should leave behind.

So, hopefully AB is on the same positive trend as well!

Mmmm.... California Cummin.

CapFlu
beers 5136 º places 238 º 21:59 Thu 12/15/2016

Does NWT have a Top50 yet?

VertBaconStrips
beers 2445 º places 4 º 22:52 Fri 12/16/2016

No doubt there is room to grow in Alberta and there’s been a couple of good one including the Situation IIPA I had last night. It’s a very honest comparison to everything else when you look at the numbers. And yes, I could ride in BC forever!