Lidl 6 Belgian ales for £10.49

Reads 7761 • Replies 36 • Started Wednesday, December 21, 2016 12:45:02 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

SilkTork
beers 7779 º places 111 º 12:45 Wed 12/21/2016

Grab ’em quick.

Bornem Tripel, Bornem Dubbel. Piraat. Piraat Triple Hop (new for me), Gulden Draak, Gulden Draak 9000 (also new for me).

I picked up two cases, and I’m now thinking I should have got more.

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 12:47 Wed 12/21/2016

Yeah,they had this offer in June but it was only £8.99.

A great deal though. Rich,u can finally get the infamous Belgian welfare giftpack.

rickgordon
beers 3878 º places 41 º 12:49 Wed 12/21/2016

Now I wish that Sweden did not have the monopoly.

SilkTork
beers 7779 º places 111 º 12:51 Wed 12/21/2016

I’m drinking the Bornem, and I remember this from years ago, and now I now why they are so cheap. This is not quality Belgian beer.Well, it’s not quality beer, period. Maybe I should take the second case back!

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 12:55 Wed 12/21/2016

Originally posted by SilkTork
I’m drinking the Bornem, and I remember this from years ago, and now I now why they are so cheap. This is not quality Belgian beer.Well, it’s not quality beer, period. Maybe I should take the second case back!

are u using a goblet ,tulip or other glass. ? I only ask because I’m curious.

That giftpack is some seriously cloying group of beers.. crude even. Like skid row welfare juice. I do like Draak though

SilkTork
beers 7779 º places 111 º 12:59 Wed 12/21/2016

Originally posted by Gary

That giftpack is some seriously cloying group of beers.. crude even. Like skid row welfare juice. I do like Draak though

A Maredsous glass - purely because it was on my desk. I think it still had the residue of Chimera IPA from last night in the bottom.

RichTheVillan
beers 10685 º places 101 º 13:00 Wed 12/21/2016

Yeah,they had this offer in June but it was only £8.99.

A great deal though. Rich,u can finally get the infamous Belgian welfare giftpack.

No not yet need to get to lidl

SilkTork
beers 7779 º places 111 º 13:00 Wed 12/21/2016

A Maredsous glass - purely because it was on my desk. I think it still had the residue of Chimera IPA from last night in the bottom.

I think Fly gave me this glass when we met up in Greenwich a few years back.

Gary
beers 2114 º places 4 º 13:03 Wed 12/21/2016

I dunno why but I like to know what glass someone is experiencing their beer from...like It’s nice when mentioned in ratings.

That Piraat stuff in the giftpack is a inferior duvel. A mid level Belgian range...I’ll pick up a giftpack for the fun of it. Good boost for your buck.

Fin
beers 17328 º places 1654 º 13:11 Wed 12/21/2016

I love Chimera IPA, not had it for a while, is it still as good as it was?

SilkTork
beers 7779 º places 111 º 13:19 Wed 12/21/2016

Originally posted by Fin

I love Chimera IPA, not had it for a while, is it still as good as it was?

Yes, that’s a cracking beer. Properly made stuff. I’ve had it a few times. They are a local brewery to me, and I bought mine from the brewer in Winchester market a couple of weeks ago. I could drink that all day long. This Bornem stuff is really crap. The Belgiums like to use sugar in their brewing, and Van Steenberge take that to the extreme. It’s more fermented sugar than malt. Thin and nasty. Even at this price it’s clear there’s a lot of profit being made as there is genuinely so little quality ingredients in this. Few hops. Little malt. Mostly sugar I should think. Gee, even prisoners could brew up more characterful and better tasting hootch than this.