Looking for Beer recommendations for Thanksgiving

Reads 2393 • Replies 17 • Started Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:08:25 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 13:08 Tue 9/13/2016

I will be at my sisters house in Wisconsin. We will likely have two turkeys for a large crowd. One will be a classic oven baked, bread stuffed, bird seasoned with rosemary and thyme, and for the other considering a smoked turkey stuffed with bratwurst and bacon. Any Recs?

mkgrenwel
beers 619 º places 117 º 13:14 Tue 9/13/2016

Seriously: Orval.

slowrunner77
beers 19964 º places 499 º 14:31 Tue 9/13/2016

Easy pickings in WI, but the New Glarus fruit beers (especially Belgian Red, Cranbic and Raspberry Tart) go great with or after your Thanksgiving meal. I’d load up on those if I could.

muzzlehatch
beers 4975 º places 327 º 14:36 Tue 9/13/2016

My first impulse is to just agree with slowrunner, and really those are good choices; I’ve had many a Belgian Red with Thanksgiving turkey, and Raspberry Tart with Christmas ham, those are the typical choices. But I’d also possibly consider a strong, sweet Belgian like Cuvee Van De Keizer - usually don’t like beers that sweet with food myself, but for whatever reason they seem to work with something like turkey & stuffing. I wouldn’t turn down Orval though - but if you’re serving a lot of people you might be better off with big bottles. A store near me currently has a 3l bottle of St Bernardus 12 on display...

Strykzone
beers 8457 º places 152 º 17:28 Tue 9/13/2016

Unibroue Quelque Chose and serve it warm.

blipp
beers 14843 º places 219 º 17:36 Tue 9/13/2016

Just for you? Or for the group as well?

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 17:49 Tue 9/13/2016

Originally posted by blipp
Just for you? Or for the group as well?

Was going to ask the same. The New Glarus recommendations seemed obvious. And if you are also getting beer for those less enthusiastic about such, even Spotted Cow might work.

Bracia with the smoked bird. Or maybe the Schlenkerla Helles (or the Urbock). Decisions, decisions.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 18:15 Tue 9/13/2016

Just make sure my nephew doesn’t come and start pounding bombers of hefty beers and spouting profanity and insults LOUDLY like he did a few years ago,

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 18:21 Tue 9/13/2016

Recommendation is for the whole group. New Glarus stuff will be well represented as usual. I’m the only one who likes smoked beers so that is out. Last year I brought Rodenbachs and that did not go over too well, so I’m avoiding sours too. You guys are giving me some ideas to think over, hadn’t even considered Orval, or St Bernardus 12 that sounds interesting. Plenty of time to mull this over.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 18:24 Tue 9/13/2016

Originally posted by muzzlehatch
My first impulse is to just agree with slowrunner, and really those are good choices; I’ve had many a Belgian Red with Thanksgiving turkey, and Raspberry Tart with Christmas ham, those are the typical choices. But I’d also possibly consider a strong, sweet Belgian like Cuvee Van De Keizer - usually don’t like beers that sweet with food myself, but for whatever reason they seem to work with something like turkey & stuffing. I wouldn’t turn down Orval though - but if you’re serving a lot of people you might be better off with big bottles. A store near me currently has a 3l bottle of St Bernardus 12 on display...

How much is a 3L of St Bernardus 12. Gotta be some serious $$$.