Mongo IPA

Reads 4447 • Replies 24 • Started Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:03:44 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 21:03 Sun 1/15/2012

This recently came to New Jersey and can I say it’s fucking amazing? It hits the sweet spot for price ($6.49/22oz) right in-between my two favorite go-to IPAs Double Jack and Hop Stoopid. I think this edges out both just slightly overall and I’m jealous of Cali people for having this for so long without me having it. Hats off to Port Brewing.

vw73182
beers 14 º places 1 º 21:19 Sun 1/15/2012

I enjoyed it the one time I had it on draft at pizza port.

TAR
beers 2821 º places 34 º 21:27 Sun 1/15/2012

Originally posted by keanex
It hits the sweet spot for price ($6.49/22oz) right in-between my two favorite go-to IPAs Double Jack and Hop Stoopid.

Sweet spot for value?!?!

*jaw hits floor in befuddlement*

That equates to more than $20 for a six-pack! And for a grainy resin bomb, no less. Have we as consumers become THIS immune to unreasonably priced bombers that we no longer think twice about an I/IPA being overpriced at $6.50? Can someone rationally explain this insanity to me? Because otherwise I don’t think I’m ever going to understand it. I’ll gladly stick to my honestly priced, cleanly brewed 4% abv low-gravities.

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 21:44 Sun 1/15/2012

I’m aware of the price per ounce of bombers vs 6 packs, that doesn’t mean this isn’t a good value. Find me another comparable beer cheaper than even Hop Stoopid at $0.22 an ounce that has the same availability, let alone the alcohol percentage.

Bombers are higher on a price per ounce basis, I agree, but I haven’t seen many top 100 beers that have been the smartest economically.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 21:52 Sun 1/15/2012

:D love Mongo but I think I like Wipeout even more

TAR
beers 2821 º places 34 º 21:58 Sun 1/15/2012

Find me another comparable beer cheaper than even Hop Stoopid at $0.22 an ounce that has the same availability, let alone the alcohol percentage.

I fully hear ya, though I think many of us are coming at it from a misguided perspective. It’s just that there pretty much are no good beers at quality beers at good values anymore. And the only thing that could potentially bring some sensibleness back into the pricing of beer, is to refrain from buying these ripoffs in the first place.

Ibrew2or3
beers 10534 º places 353 º 22:03 Sun 1/15/2012

Yes, Hop Stupid is stupid good for the wallet and the palette.

I’m currently enjoying some Hop Juice at the same 6.49 per 22oz and wondering what beer tops this level of yum at this bomber price point

peteinSD
places 57 º 22:56 Sun 1/15/2012

Originally posted by TAR
Find me another comparable beer cheaper than even Hop Stoopid at $0.22 an ounce that has the same availability, let alone the alcohol percentage.

I fully hear ya, though I think many of us are coming at it from a misguided perspective. It’s just that there pretty much are no good beers at quality beers at good values anymore. And the only thing that could potentially bring some sensibleness back into the pricing of beer, is to refrain from buying these ripoffs in the first place.

assuming you have the skills, you’re at the brew your own at this point - prices ain’t dropping.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 05:49 Mon 1/16/2012

mongo good

keanex
beers 1802 º places 65 º 08:06 Mon 1/16/2012

Originally posted by TAR

I don’t think the disparity really is as big as it seems though like I said, Hop Stoopid is $0.22 per ounce here, which is considered a great value. Now I can get something decent like Victory’s Hop Devil for $10 a 6 pack which translates to roughly $0.14 per ounce. Now there’s a difference of only $0.08 per ounce, which isn’t so bad. Now assuming you’re the type who likes to try as many beers as you can, then the Hop Stoopid, while being less economical, becomes the better value for the wallet since you’re spending less on a "per new review" basis. Now people will mention single beers, Hop Devil is $2 here for a single 12 ounce which makes it $0.17 per ounce, which does make it a better option then overall from an economical stand-point. Either way though you’re not really spending a huge amount different when you consider the same volume.

I hope that makes sense. It does stink to see things like 22 ounce Golden Monkey for $7.99 when I can buy a 6 pack for $12 though. I just call it the bomber tax.

Westmeister
beers 2127 º places 64 º 08:12 Mon 1/16/2012

bottom line - top tier iipa