Most overrated beer

Reads 9847 • Replies 116 • Started Tuesday, July 25, 2017 12:40:34 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

islay
beers 3622 º places 18 º 15:09 Wed 7/26/2017

Originally posted by mariuspoenari
One beer I find quite overrated is New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red - decent fruit notes but sooooo damn sweet it is almost impossible to drink. I think most Belgian krieks, including shelf turds, are better than that.

That’s one of my favorite beers, but I certainly understand the criticism. It functions like a (very low alcohol) fortified wine. It’s best shared and drunk a few ounces at a time. 25.4 ounces of that stuff probably would start to grate quickly.

cheap
beers 8867 º places 328 º 15:16 Wed 7/26/2017

Originally posted by malvrich
Originally posted by adamnowek
If I wanted bourbon, I’d drink bourbon.

This

was it cut & paste from my rating?

ebone1988
beers 2504 º places 24 º 15:55 Wed 7/26/2017

Haha, I love Funky Buddha and have drank a few whole bombers by myself (Last Snow and Wide Awake It’s Morning stand out) thinking I could probably drink several bottles once I was done.

One beer I find quite overrated is New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red - decent fruit notes but sooooo damn sweet it is almost impossible to drink. I think most Belgian krieks, including shelf turds, are better than that.

Oh no. I love that beer. I think it has enough beer balance to take away the sweetness, making it excellent, but that’s just my opinion.

ebone1988
beers 2504 º places 24 º 15:56 Wed 7/26/2017

Originally posted by islay

That’s one of my favorite beers, but I certainly understand the criticism. It functions like a (very low alcohol) fortified wine. It’s best shared and drunk a few ounces at a time. 25.4 ounces of that stuff probably would start to grate quickly.

It’s fun to split anyway, especially among my "getting into craft" friends who’ve never heard of New Glarus or even fruit beer. I’ve blown more than one person away.

Ibrew2or3
beers 10538 º places 353 º 16:36 Wed 7/26/2017

Originally posted by ebone1988
Originally posted by Iznogud
St Bernardus Abt 12 & Pliny

Pliny, absolutely. So many IPAs have far surpassed Pliny.

This is spot on.
Hopslam too.

Ibrew2or3
beers 10538 º places 353 º 16:39 Wed 7/26/2017

Originally posted by Ibrew2or3

This is spot on.
Hopslam too.

Let me back peddle here. That said I’m a happy camper if I have a fresh case of Pliny to drill through.

ebone1988
beers 2504 º places 24 º 16:46 Wed 7/26/2017

This is spot on.
Hopslam too.

Let me back peddle here. That said I’m a happy camper if I have a fresh case of Pliny to drill through.

I’d love to experience it on tap. Hopslam was a thing when I started drinking craft beer, now it’s not very great.

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 18:40 Wed 7/26/2017

Haha, I love Funky Buddha and have drank a few whole bombers by myself (Last Snow and Wide Awake It’s Morning stand out) thinking I could probably drink several bottles once I was done.

Oh no. I love that beer. I think it has enough beer balance to take away the sweetness, making it excellent, but that’s just my opinion.

My opinion as well.

Drake
admin
beers 21771 º places 1252 º 20:21 Wed 7/26/2017

Everything from Brewdog and the Bruery.

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 20:37 Wed 7/26/2017

Every beer from Flying Dog and Avery