NB Lips of Faith Brett Beer

Reads 3567 • Replies 70 • Started Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:19:20 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Steve_0
beers 3744 º places 142 º 21:24 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by jlruthven
Haters gon’ hate.

Indra
beers 2711 º places 78 º 21:32 Wed 3/20/2013

In general I really like New Belgium. I didn’t buy this one, though, because the ratings were too low.

By contrast, I picked up some Rampant the other day, it was only $4 for a bomber and I’ve tried it before so I know it’s good.

Unlike SOME people, I don’t judge them by the Lips of Faith beers alone.

dhunter151
beers 590 º places 11 º 21:37 Wed 3/20/2013

Ranger is solid. Belgo is pretty good as well. But not a big fan of any of the other NB stuff I’ve tried

tennisjoel
beers 2230 º places 53 º 21:58 Wed 3/20/2013

Up and down brewer for me. Fat Tire is pretty mediocre. A few of them are okay, but from that part of the country I’d much rather go with Great Divide.

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 22:02 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by randomgarbage
Originally posted by beerguy101
And New Belgium now joins the Ratebeer Hall of Hate...

Lets see other member of this club are:

Stone
Lost Abbey
Dogfish Head

Macro micros are garbage

Lets set the record straight, New Belgium is not a craft beer nor is it a micro. They have not been in over 3 years.

(you forgot Goose Island and Kona on your list)

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 23:54 Wed 3/20/2013

Originally posted by Steve_0
What about their regular Line-up and Seasonals:

Abbey - 96
Ranger - 95
Trippel - 95
Red Hoptober - 93
1554 - 93
Belgo - 93
Snow Day - 92
Hoptober - 91
Frambozen - 87

Seems like a pretty solid lineup to me and those are overall ratings and it’s hard to beat this stuff at $8/sixer.

And I am not saying Fat Tire is a great beer, but it does have a lot of significance, as a lot of people credit this brew as their "gateway" beer into the craft beer world.

dont conflate the issue. NB makes very good and strong quality products. Their regular six pack line is top notch. I did not start a thread about .1554. On the other hand, much props for a quality affordable product. Cant say the same about lips of faith.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 00:16 Thu 3/21/2013

Originally posted by Indra

just making a point, I think New Belgium is heading down and the Brett beer was the perfect example. A beer as flawed on the inside as the label is on the outside.

Lets play the comparison game and take a look at a similarly sized craft brewer.

Blvd Smokestack, not a single beer below the 93rd percentile. Plus, they come in a similar range of prices but in 750ml C&C bottles. Furthermore, they took the better sellers and put them into 4 packs. All of this plus a very solid 6 pack lineup.

And that is not to say that every beer has to be a hit (everyone is allowed a hiccup here and there) but in general I keep seeing nothing but positive change in Blvd Smokestacks and nothing but flash with no substance from the LoF series.

The numbers are right there, its not just my personal opinion.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 00:18 Thu 3/21/2013

Originally posted by BBB63
New Belgium is not a craft beer nor is it a micro.

?

jake65
beers 4400 º places 158 º 06:27 Thu 3/21/2013

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
Originally posted by jake65
30+ beers in the 90th percentile or higher... NB makes a lot of good stuff.

there are 53 lips of faith beers, only 26 bottled (as best I could count).

Now lets leave out the beers that were made before the LoF series. Meaning, that La Folie, BdM, Trans Kriek, Le Terrior, Eric’s Ale, Abbey GC, are going to be biased from earlier ratings.

We now have 20 beers. 10 of those beers are below the 90th percentile. Now why use 90? no idea why that is considered a good cut off, but lets go with it. So...

You have a 50/50 shot of getting a good beer [by RB scores] when purchasing a LoF beer.

those are not good odds for the price point.

I would argue the odds being 50/50 of getting a ’good beer’ is just not accurate. I picked 90 as (in my mind) it represents a beer worthy of an ’A’ grade by those who’ve taken the time to rate it on RB. Using the classroom scale, an A is associated with excellence, B is good/better than average, C is average, etc.

I do agree the price point is too high. $14 for the La Folie and Kriek at my local store and $9 for the other LOF beers. I’d be more likely to buy more if they were $9-10 and $6-7.

On a side note, this is what makes ratings so valuable. We have the potential to avoid spending money (or too much money) on beers that are unlikely to be good as long as the ratings continue to come in. I know I’ve scrolled past more of these offerings since I got a smart phone.

Trev
beers 2023 º places 24 º 06:38 Thu 3/21/2013

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
Originally posted by Indra

just making a point, I think New Belgium is heading down and the Brett beer was the perfect example. A beer as flawed on the inside as the label is on the outside.

Lets play the comparison game and take a look at a similarly sized craft brewer.

Blvd Smokestack, not a single beer below the 93rd percentile. Plus, they come in a similar range of prices but in 750ml C&C bottles. Furthermore, they took the better sellers and put them into 4 packs. All of this plus a very solid 6 pack lineup.

And that is not to say that every beer has to be a hit (everyone is allowed a hiccup here and there) but in general I keep seeing nothing but positive change in Blvd Smokestacks and nothing but flash with no substance from the LoF series.

The numbers are right there, its not just my personal opinion.
The Lips of Faith stuff has been (especially recently) a lot more adventurous and inventive than the Smokestacks. Plus I think that the core brand line ups from Boulevard and NB are pretty comparable. I wouldn’t give the nod one way or the other. NB have come out with some interesting 6 pack stuff in recent years too, starting with Ranger and Dig, and now Rampant (which I am not a huge fan of, but I think is better than the Belgo which they axed after it didn’t really take off in 6 pack format)
NB is lucky (by that I mean have worked very had to be successful)they have a much larger consolidated base of customers than Boulevard, so they can do a lot more of these limited run collaborations and such.
I would certainly agree that several of the LoF series I’ve had lately have been so-so, and some of the newer ones are losing my interest. But credit to NB for trying them. Every once and a while they hit it big (think Super IPA). I personally am looking forward to this hop kitchen series that just started with the Hoppy Bock.