New RateBeer app: feedback

Reads 12920 • Replies 163 • Started Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:30:29 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 22:46 Sun 7/23/2017

Originally posted by Christos
Do the scores from the app count to a beer’s score? I went to rate Rodenbach Alexander and the first two reviews are from people with no ratings, it appears they have Ticks on their profile but when I click on it, nothing shows.

I mentioned it in my previous post.

Those ratings would count for the score, but the App doesn’t automatically trigger a "recalculation" of the average/score (clearly a bug, see below why).
In order to trigger it, you need to add a website rating, or an admin can trigger it manually.

Let’s make an example.
1st rating from site, 3.4 points given, beer average 3.4
2nd rating from app, 3.0 points given, beer average still 3.4 (should be 3.2)
3rd rating from site, 3.5 points given, beer average now 3.3 (it counts the 2nd rating too now)

Or provide a specific example, if you meant something else

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 03:58 Mon 7/24/2017

I played with the new App for 10 minutes.
It has a different scoring system to the one I’ve been using for over 12 years. What??? why would I use this when I have used another scoring system for so long. Why would I give one score on the App and another score on the Website. I mean what were people thinking???
I genuinely don’t see any reason why this is better than Erik’s version, which I still use and I think is the basis for what a RB should be in terms of functionality.
Unless big changes happen on the new App, I won’t be using it anytime soon.

Christos
beers 6111 º places 110 º 05:34 Mon 7/24/2017

Originally posted by fiulijn
Originally posted by Christos
Do the scores from the app count to a beer’s score? I went to rate Rodenbach Alexander and the first two reviews are from people with no ratings, it appears they have Ticks on their profile but when I click on it, nothing shows.

I mentioned it in my previous post.

Those ratings would count for the score, but the App doesn’t automatically trigger a "recalculation" of the average/score (clearly a bug, see below why).
In order to trigger it, you need to add a website rating, or an admin can trigger it manually.

Let’s make an example.
1st rating from site, 3.4 points given, beer average 3.4
2nd rating from app, 3.0 points given, beer average still 3.4 (should be 3.2)
3rd rating from site, 3.5 points given, beer average now 3.3 (it counts the 2nd rating too now)

Or provide a specific example, if you meant something else
Thanks for your answer. I also meant if these two scores would count, seeing the users have 0 ratings and you need to have at least 10 for your scores to count.

mR_fr0g
beers 29121 º places 44 º 14:50 Mon 7/24/2017

Originally posted by TheHOFF43
Who created the first Ratebeer app? Maybe just have him do this one as well? Seems like his was better and I believe he did it for free.

erickok created the previous RateBeer android app. It is available open source here. https://github.com/erickok/ratebeer They easily could have used this as a started point for the new app.

mR_fr0g
beers 29121 º places 44 º 15:02 Mon 7/24/2017

Played with the app today. Two main points from me.
- In the app i need to be able to take notes and rate a beer offline. Then later when i have an internet connection I can search and upload the rating against the appropriate beer. This was my primary user flow in the old app. Record rating -> search -> select -> upload. The new app only allows search -> select -> record rating -> upload. This difference is a huge deal.

- Like other have said, having a scoring system that is different both to the website as well as my entire history of ratings is completely useless. How can i compare a beer i rated in the app as 4 to a beer I rated through the website as 4.2? Which one did i like better? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Who knows! It would make a mockery of my ratings as well as the trustworthiness and credibility of the site if these two systems are intermixed

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 15:22 Mon 7/24/2017

You can rate 4.2 on the App as well, just slide your finger right or left.

My concern is more difficult to assess.
My experience with Untappd is that with the single score users tend to use the upper part of the scale (3 to 5).
Probably with the 5 attribute system, instead, a rater is brought to evaluate the beer with more context and makes better usage of the 0.5 to 5 scale.

As a proof, I barely see low scores on Untappd even for obscene beers (you can say that it’s an easily pleased crowd), but I also did the same when I didn’t have to rate on RB.

If that’s true, we will end up having 2 families of ratings and it wouldn’t be fair to merge the scores.

boto
beers 2444 º places 104 º 16:49 Mon 7/24/2017

Tried to search for"fat orange cat Esther". No problem with the website. App says no results.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 17:20 Mon 7/24/2017

Ok yes so i can give a total score. But i like RB for being able to say it smells and looks terrible but flavour and finish are amazing. Lack of nuance. And private rating. I just dont get it at the moment

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 17:26 Mon 7/24/2017

And sorry to bring it up again but my ratings are based on 10 5 10 5 20. I am not prepared to water this down. Am i a power user? I don’t know but having spent 12 years on this site i cant see any of my contemporaries being happy with this new app as a solution. I dont do this lightly i never get into anti neg RB as i love it but this is a step too far. Joe you have the power. Its up to you.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 17:40 Mon 7/24/2017

We just updated search so that it accepts skipped words in terms like Sierra Torpedo. Thanks for your feedback!