Next ’Spoons fest...

Reads 2324 • Replies 36 • Started Saturday, February 18, 2017 4:37:03 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

SilkTork
beers 7746 º places 111 º 13:16 Wed 3/22/2017

Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by SilkTork
I still like it, but then I like Wetherspoons.

To be honest, I rarely specifically plan to visit a Wetherspoons (except for a bargain basement breakfast of course). But if I happen to be close to one, which is a pretty common occurrence, I rarely pass by without taking a look in.

Always worth stopping in a Spoon!

SilkTork
beers 7746 º places 111 º 13:17 Wed 3/22/2017

Why have we got two Spoons Fest threads? That’s a bit numpty. I wonder if we can merge them?

SilkTork
beers 7746 º places 111 º 13:24 Wed 3/22/2017

Originally posted by BeerViking
Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by BeerViking
Sadly, it’s the one of the two with the wider & usually more interesting range of ale.

Unfortunately I suspect this will often be the case. I’d imagine, where they have a "regular" Spoons and a Lloyds No.1, the latter will often be more profitable on the back of heavy circuit drinking custom at the weekend compared to the steadier "old man" custom through the week of the traditional Spoons. A shame because the Lloyds concept is somewhat at odds with the original Wetherspoons ethos.

I thought all the Lloyds had been folded back into the main brand now? Although yes, the Morris is the ex-Lloyds of the two, and is less reliant on the old bloke market than the Pluff & Huff.

I was never quite certain on the difference between the two. I haven’t been in a Lloyds for ages, but I seem to recall at the start they had fewer cask beers, and a more "upmarket"/business lunch feel about them. As time went by the differences became less and less noticeable. There aren’t any Lloyds around here, and I can’t remember the last time I consciously visited one.

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 13:39 Wed 3/22/2017

I was never quite certain on the difference between the two.

Wetherspoons originally had a policy of no TVs, no music and (I think) no gaming machines. When they decided they needed some (or all) of these things in some of their pubs they hived them off into the Lloyds No.1 brand. I think the only one of these things that "regular" Wetherspoons still never have is music, although TVs often only get rolled out for big sporting events. Some of the Lloyds No.1 bars extended the music thing to DJs, dance floors and sometimes later closing times. Although Lloyds No.1 don’t necessarily have fewer cask beers on offer, they often do because the sort of party crowd they’re aiming for isn’t likely to be so interested in that sort of thing.

To be honest, I’ve no idea whether some or all of the Lloyds No.1 bars have been rolled back into the main brand but they’re still distinguished on the Wetherspoons website.
https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/lloyds-no-1-bars

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 13:49 Wed 3/22/2017

Long live spoons’ no music policy

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 14:59 Wed 3/22/2017

Why have we got two Spoons Fest threads? That’s a bit numpty. I wonder if we can merge them?

agreed