One Night in Indy

Reads 2175 • Replies 11 • Started Tuesday, April 1, 2014 12:40:18 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Cliff
beers 355 º places 72 º 12:40 Tue 4/1/2014

I will be in town this upcoming Tuesday night (4/8). I have to work early on Wednesday on the west side of town. I am open to stay wherever as long as the price is reasonable ~ $125/night. So, where should I stay and where should I go? I know nothing of Indianapolis beer except Sun King.

DrSilverworm
beers 11383 º places 123 º 12:52 Tue 4/1/2014

I was just in Indianapolis last Saturday. Of the 5 or 6 places I stopped, Indiana City Brewpub was one of my favorites, definitely recommend it.

For a beer bar with a good selection, I was pretty impressed with Twenty Tap. It was uncomfortably packed when I visited on a Saturday night, but it should be much more chill on a Tuesday.

Black Acre brewpub is also a favorite stop of mine... 1st place I usually visit when I enter town.

I’m sure locals will be able to provide more tips.. I still haven’t even checked out half the places in Indianapolis, but the above are some of my favorites.

Seth823
18:30 Tue 4/1/2014

Not sure where to stay but yes 20 tap is awesome and just down the street the sinking ship is another great bar...

---Posted via Beer Buddy for iPhone

bmoosey
beers 82 º places 1 º 19:33 Tue 4/1/2014

There’s a few places you could go!
Broad Ripple Brewpub, Brugge, and Three Wise Men...they’re further north of downtown, but really respectable beers! There’s also an Upland tasting room close to these three.

Downtown is Sun King, Flat 12, Fountain Square, Indy City Brewing, Triton Brewery, Bier Brewery, and Tomlinson’s Tap Room (indiana’s Brewers Guild). Tomlinson’s has taps from breweries all over Indiana.

These are a few of the "good ones"..IMO

Let me know if you have any questions..

Indy’s a great town and a lot to do! Look up Slippery Noodle... Oldest operating bar in Indiana and it served as a brothel until 1953!

tg3204
05:17 Wed 4/2/2014

Indy actually has a pretty decent up and coming beer scene. I will keep all suggestions in the downtown area. We have several breweries including Sun King, Flat 12, Fountain Square, Black Acre, Indiana City, Triton, Bier, Brugge, Outliers, an Upland Tap Room and the newly opened Tow Yard. Not sure how far west you will be but the town of Plainfield has Black Swan and Three Pints, neither of which I have tried yet. As far as good bars for beer, Twenty Tap is great, 38 taps, but is packed every night because it has become the "hipster" place to go. Tomlinson Tap Room has a great selection of all Indiana beers. The Sinking Ship is a personal favorite. Definitely a bit of a dive but it has great food and a good beer selection. Both Shoefly Public House and Bluebeard have would be good if you are a foodie as well as wanting to enjoy a couple good beers. Last place I can think of off the top of my head with a good beer list is the Aristocrat. And finally, if you are looking to take anything back home with you, I would suggest going to Kahn’s on 52nd and Keystone Ave. My suggestions would be:

Breweries: Black Acre, Indiana City, Flat 12, Sun King
Bars/Restaurants: Sinking Ship, Twenty Tap, Bluebeard
Craft Beer Stores: Kahn’s Fine Wines

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to message me or I will check back on here from time to time.

Cheers,
Tom

Brigadier
beers 4930 º places 334 º 19:43 Wed 4/2/2014

Originally posted by Cliff
I will be in town this upcoming Tuesday night (4/8). I have to work early on Wednesday on the west side of town. I am open to stay wherever as long as the price is reasonable ~ $125/night. So, where should I stay and where should I go? I know nothing of Indianapolis beer except Sun King.

Most of the good stuff is fairly close to downtown. I’d say Sun King, Flat 12, and one of the Crown Liquors (if you have the ability to get it home) should keep you busy. Upland Tasting room can be hit or miss but the one in Indianapolis seems to get better stuff than the actual brewery tasting room for some reason.

Cliff
beers 355 º places 72 º 07:46 Thu 4/3/2014

So I am staying at the Holiday Inn in Carmel, right off of 485. My plan is to hit a few places north of downtown. Most likely Brugge, Thr3e Wise Men and Broad Ripple, maybe down to Twenty Tap and Upland if I am feeling adventurous. I should be getting to town around 5pm, so if anyone is up for a late afternoon/early evening beer, let me know!

bmoosey
beers 82 º places 1 º 09:04 Thu 4/3/2014

If you make it downtown, and want an amazing steak...check out St. Elmo’s steakhouse...it’s pricy, but my favorite steak place that I’ve experienced.

GumballDust
09:03 Fri 4/4/2014

I would also highly recommend 20 Tap and the Ship if you want good selection at a bar. For good beers to take, I'd say Bier Brewery is the best in town. They don't can or bottle but you can get growlers. If that's too far, Flat 12 and Fountain Square brewery are also solid. I wouldn't waste time with Sun King. They're more a marketing machine than a brewery. And find yourself some Three Floyds to take home from the liquor store!

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 09:28 Fri 4/4/2014

If you want good bar food and some possible jazz/funk to go along with a tolerable tap list (Stone Enjoy By/Three Floyds flagship type), hit The Mousetrap in Broadripple. Best breaded pork tenderloin sandwich in IN.

GumballDust
09:52 Fri 4/4/2014

Just noticed you said you're in the Carmel area. There's a place next town over in Fishers called Chatham Tap. They have awesome bar food and get some pretty impressive stuff from time to time. I had Founders Bolt Cutter and BCS Coffee there. And Rockstone Pizza is a great new place down the block from Chatham that has pretty killer pizza and solid beer selection. Check their tap list, updated daily...

http://www.rockstonepizzapub.com