Posting length - a pet peeve or am I just showing my age and moaning about nothing?

Reads 1889 • Replies 28 • Started Friday, September 21, 2012 3:24:48 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

notalush
beers 7128 º places 452 º 18:05 Fri 9/21/2012

I find crazy long beer reviews to be just as useless as crazy short ones.

JLLSU
beers 238 º places 1 º 18:12 Fri 9/21/2012

Originally posted by notalush
I find crazy long beer reviews to be just as useless as crazy short ones.

I usually think that crazy long reviews are either a joke or just written by someone who values their own opinion a little more than is healthy.

This isn’t a place to use all your $5 words or channel your inner Thoreau (at least not for me).

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 18:33 Fri 9/21/2012

I don’t care what you think of my posts, I’m not writing them for you. I do care however, that we all have the freedom to review beers as we see fit: long or short, filled with shit or with life-changing information, in english or any other language that suits you as an individual. There will always be people who irritate other people-- that’s life! Some people don’t like me using curse words in my ratings. I say fuck ’em.

left_bank
beers 106 º places 107 º 18:34 Fri 9/21/2012

if you are posting reviews for other to read,my guess is that your reviews are being passed over by some just because they do not have the time.
the point of reading a review-for me-is to decide yes or no to buying that beer.i can probably read 3-4 other reviews in the time it takes to read yours.

HogTownHarry
beers 9241 º places 28 º 18:46 Fri 9/21/2012

Originally posted by arminjewell
People can do what they like...I personally rate for myself, not for anyone else, so my ratings are for me to remember the beer

This. There will always be long and detailed ratings, and that’s cool, but one of the things I love about RB is there is room for both.

I rate for me and hope now and then something I include in a rating helps someone else - but I am NOT BJCP certified and I don’t give a shit about that anyway - it’s hedonic and I use MY ratings for ME.

douglas88
admin
beers 13205 º places 398 º 18:51 Fri 9/21/2012

Your ratings are great, keep it up.

johnnnniee
beers 7185 º places 217 º 19:08 Fri 9/21/2012

I will echo what a few others have said, I rate for me. If someone else finds my ratings useful even better. One thing I don’t do is base my purchase decisions on the ratings of others. What if they are all wrong?

blipp
beers 14849 º places 219 º 19:30 Fri 9/21/2012

There’s a place here for both long and short reviews. And often a short review can be just as informative as a long one.

For example, you might say: "A morass of slow moving chocolate and treacle with a pinch of dark chocolate when you have chewed it bitterness" whereas I would probably just say "chocolate."

While your way is certainly more eloquent, I would argue that my way is just as informative and more helpful to someone trying to get a quick idea about what a beer is like.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 05:54 Sat 9/22/2012

I rate for all of the reasons listed by the OP... unless he didn’t list "for my own amusement" and "so that I will never buy the same bad beer twice" (because 3 years goes by, I see a beer on the shelf & can’t remember if I ever tried it).

evergreen0199
beers 5938 º 05:58 Sat 9/22/2012

Originally posted by peteinSD
rating beers is for fun unless you make it seem like a job (as some do here). cheers.

Completely agree with that!