Posting length - a pet peeve or am I just showing my age and moaning about nothing?

Reads 1894 • Replies 28 • Started Friday, September 21, 2012 3:24:48 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Jimthechap
beers 2057 º places 51 º 15:24 Fri 9/21/2012

A very good day to you all,

I just wanted to get a bit of a feel from other raters about what they think is a suitable length for a beer post. So often I see raters accumulating ratings for the sake of racking up numbers and it made me think about a few things:
Why do we post? Is it for our own edification, so that we may have some record of our experiences; is it to share with the world our opinions on products; is it to offer brewers constructive opinion based feedback; or is it the competitive desire to rate more beers than other people? These are all laudable aims in their own way and they are all reasons that I take part in this wonderful forum.
My gripe is that we see ratings that extend to one or two shortish sentences that no-one can gain any benefit from other than the statisticians.
I recognise that the statistics are an important part of the site, but surely it isn’t difficult for raters to take a little bit longer and dig a little deeper into their beer. Isn’t that what the site seeks to promote - the greater appreciation of beer?
What do you think*?

Jimthechap

*I realise also that by writing a novel in the forum that only people who write and read longer reviews are likely to read it and bother to respond. The system isn’t perfect, but ah well, that’s what it’s there for.

Billicus
beers 296 º places 16 º 16:13 Fri 9/21/2012

simple for Sponge when I rate a beer just the facts its like WHAM BLAM TRIPE SLAM THANK YOU SAID SPONGE IAM!

SudsMcDuff
beers 8597 º places 190 º 16:16 Fri 9/21/2012

moaning.

everyone has there own style..

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 16:18 Fri 9/21/2012

arminjewell
beers 9756 º places 10 º 16:23 Fri 9/21/2012

People can do what they like...I personally rate for myself, not for anyone else, so my ratings are for me to remember the beer

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 16:24 Fri 9/21/2012

hi jim. your lengthy and detailed ratings are very welcome on the site and much appreciated, you should be proud of them. where you’re wrong is thinking that shorter ratings offer no value to the site. a short rating is much more informative to prospective buyers and travelers than no rating. do your thing and don’t be worried about what anyone else is doing.

b3shine
beers 12213 º places 372 º 16:24 Fri 9/21/2012

Not everyone - and especially men, who comprise the majority of RB members - is descriptive. Besides, a lot of the limited-production/specialty beers with a sample size below 50 are sought out by people who generally know their beer and have a lot of reviews; and I have found these people to be a little more descriptive in their ratings. I don’t need a verbose description of a beer with 500+ ratings; the quantitative data speak for themselves, and I’ll trust my own judgment when I write a thorough review.

kp
beers 10877 º places 12 º 16:27 Fri 9/21/2012

I think twitter has it right to limit you to 160 characters in order to encourage brevity in communication.

blackflag321
beers 750 º places 160 º 17:05 Fri 9/21/2012

I use the ratings to assess a beer I might consider buying to see what others think of it. After I rate it myself I only look at my own rating of the beer as a record of what I think of it. So, before I drink a beer, the ratings are used for research. After I drink a beer, my rating is used as an archive.

Bottom line: I write ratings for myself.

peteinSD
places 57 º 17:23 Fri 9/21/2012

rating beers is for fun unless you make it seem like a job (as some do here). cheers.

I admire those raters who create really well thought out ratings, but I rate for my own record keeping. I doubt anyone would find my ratings useful (except me) but I do appreciate the role of ratings in stats, thus I do it here instead of just a notebook/excel/etc.