Prime Bar - WTF?

Reads 4545 • Replies 14 • Started Monday, December 7, 2009 8:33:55 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

AskDrTodd
places 1 º 20:33 Mon 12/7/2009

OK so I make my bimonthly sunday trek with wifey out to the wiregrass mall to enjoy this cooler weather, hang out with her while she shops for an hour or two, and then hit up Brass Tap, happily justifying my Sunday afternoon beers & football, penance paid with shopping time haha. Doesn’t hurt that they have $2 glasses of wine at happy hour(s) to keep my better half occupied!

Anyway on to the point- a restaurant called "Prime Bar" which upon first glance appears quite classy and contemporary, quickly identifies itself as another "bar louie", only different from louie because there are a few decent beers! 3 CCB’s even! Normally this would make me excited, only in this case I’m quite the opposite because you could sit at the bar at Brass Tap and (with a strong arm) throw a rock and hit the bar at Prime Bar.

Prime Bar’s menu offered nothing that piqued my interest (actually it was surprisingly reminiscent of bar louie’s), and their beer selection was about 60% as good (give or take) as Brass Tap.

So on to my WTF- I have been grumbling for years now that there are no establishments with more than 10-20 taps (of GOOD beer) south of Kennedy and some butthole opens a restaurant with the intention of trying to take business away from an honest beer loving proprietor?

WTF?

And someone even told me that the Manager of this new place emphatically claimed that he intends to put Brass Tap out of business! Eff that, man. I hope it fails miserably.

kiefdog
beers 1827 º places 120 º 07:31 Tue 12/8/2009

Ditto on this one. I was blown away when I saw the "alehouse" designation on the sign for Prime Bar. Yes, their tap handles all lined up look impressive, but I was told by a beer friend that there was not much good on draft there. In light of your comments, Greg, I guess I will have to check it out myself. Even with the close proximity, I think that Brass Tap has a number of positive things working for it (these just off the top of my head): (1) Ryan works there; (2) Owners are committed to providing excellent beer on draft; and (3) Brass Tap has a 14 month lead on developing a client base. However, if Prime Bar has cheaper drinks, many of my SLU students who frequent BT on a nightly basis will be heading to PB because they are poor college kids. The serious beer drinkers will still keep hanging at BT because they are consistently bringing in the best beer in town. I think that this just means that we all need to hang out at BT much more often.

Incidentally, when I was a Brass Tap on Monday, they had a keg of Terrapin Wake and Bake 09 on draft. And it was tasty!

Blazer06
07:40 Tue 12/8/2009

Originally posted by kiefdog
Ditto on this one. I was blown away when I saw the "alehouse" designation on the sign for Prime Bar. Yes, their tap handles all lined up look impressive, but I was told by a beer friend that there was not much good on draft there. In light of your comments, Greg, I guess I will have to check it out myself. Even with the close proximity, I think that Brass Tap has a number of positive things working for it (these just off the top of my head): (1) Ryan works there; (2) Owners are committed to providing excellent beer on draft; and (3) Brass Tap has a 14 month lead on developing a client base. However, if Prime Bar has cheaper drinks, many of my SLU students who frequent BT on a nightly basis will be heading to PB because they are poor college kids. The serious beer drinkers will still keep hanging at BT because they are consistently bringing in the best beer in town. I think that this just means that we all need to hang out at BT much more often.

Incidentally, when I was a Brass Tap on Monday, they had a keg of Terrapin Wake and Bake 09 on draft. And it was tasty!

If it was closer I would go on a regular basis, I like the Brass Tap. Unfortunately drinking there and driving to Palm Harbor isn’t the best idea.

gunhaver
beers 1030 º places 13 º 07:41 Tue 12/8/2009

Prime Bar doesn’t have Manpile Mondays or Docktober, screw them

HOPSHUNTER
beers 742 º places 33 º 09:47 Tue 12/8/2009

But I hear that the beer guy at Brass Tap is a real douche.

AskDrTodd
places 1 º 11:19 Tue 12/8/2009

I had too had the wake & bake on Sunday, in a 4 sampler (other three were the 3 Christmas beers they just put on) and man was it a great finish to a fun day!

Who’s Greg?

Originally posted by kiefdog

AskDrTodd
places 1 º 11:20 Tue 12/8/2009

Originally posted by HOPSHUNTER

Who, Ryan? No way, he’s the f-ing man!

gkost
beers 1069 º places 32 º 11:21 Tue 12/8/2009

Originally posted by AskDrTodd

he’s joking. he and ryan have docked.

Blitzstyle
beers 1 º places 14 º 13:59 Tue 12/8/2009

A buddy of mine is about to go thru the same thing but with World of Beer. He is opening a 40 tap place in Largo and is freaked out about were WoB is going to put their next franchise Clearwater location.

AskDrTodd
places 1 º 14:37 Tue 12/8/2009

Originally posted by Blitzstyle
A buddy of mine is about to go thru the same thing but with World of Beer. He is opening a 40 tap place in Largo and is freaked out about were WoB is going to put their next franchise Clearwater location.

I know, right? I doubt Sevino had this abortion in mind when he originally opened WOB!

Tell him instead of another one in Largo competing with everyone else, open it in South Tampa! Dammit we need a good beer bar in South Tampa!!! It’ll make bookoo bucks, my wife and I have been toying with the idea for a while now, just want to beat WOB there haha.

Gillard
beers 42 º 06:26 Wed 12/9/2009

Originally posted by TampaBrew
Originally posted by AskDrTodd

he’s joking. he and ryan have docked.

Yes...Yes!! we did and john is a squirter!