Riga - Latvia

Reads 577 • Replies 3 • Started Monday, May 8, 2017 9:10:47 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

rhoihessegold
beers 6641 º places 417 º 09:10 Mon 5/8/2017

Heyho!

i will be in Riga the next weekend. I will probably stick to the best places listed here on RB.

But do I have access to beers from Finland, Belarus or Russia? is there a shop to-go-to?

Any other recommendations, especially interesting places in the city are appreciated aswell.

Thanks and cheers,

Moritz

FatPhil
beers 26205 º places 995 º 15:34 Mon 5/8/2017

Those 3 countries will probably be quite hard - near the centre, you might just have to gamble on cornershop/market randomness. Estonia, Denmark, and the US would be easy - Beerfox and Alus Celle have that covered. I’ve not entered all my place reviews from last weeks’ trips yet, and the scene is expanding. The local stuff’s good enough (Labietis and Malduguns for craft, and there are a bunch of traditional breweries too like Brengulu, Uzavas, Valmiermuiza, and Madonas) that you should focus on that while you’re in the region. Beer House #1 is probably the best introduction to non-craft-styled local stuff, as they have a wide selection.

jjsint
beers 7751 º places 1335 º 08:37 Tue 5/9/2017

Hi, I was in Riga about six weeks ago.

There were a couple of Bakunin bottles in the TAKA Bar, and maybe one in Walters & Grapa (but things got a bit hazy at that point so then again maybe not). I noticed that a couple of Bakunin beers have been tagged - although not recently - at Riga locations (Alus Celle and Easy Beer, both of which are well worth a visit on their own merit).

Didn’t see anything from Finland or Belarus. However, echoing what FatPhil said, there’s loads of stuff from Estonia. Pohjala and Tanker are widely available, and there was a Vaat takeover at the Beerfox bar when I was there.

rhoihessegold
beers 6641 º places 417 º 22:09 Tue 5/9/2017

Thanks for your feedback, looks harder than I thought to get these countries. I will have a look. But I guess there loads of local stuff to explore in 3 days.