The Livery presents "December Darkness" - December 6th, 2014

Reads 1777 • Replies 13 • Started Wednesday, October 15, 2014 12:20:41 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheLivery
12:20 Wed 10/15/2014

We are very excited to be hosting our "December Darkness" party at The Livery again this year! Mark your calendars for Saturday, December 6th 2014, because you won’t want to miss this!

Featuring 6 Bourbon Barrel Aged beers on tap, the list will include:

Bourbon Barrel Aged Trippel Weizenbock - 11.5%ABV - Our renowned Weizenbock, aged for 12 months in Jim Beam barrels.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Liverator - 11%ABV - Back after a 3 year hiatus, this is our Doppelbock, aged for 10 months in Heaven Hill barrels.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Batch 600 - 12%ABV - Imperial Stout, aged for 9 months in Jim Beam barrels.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Sojourner - 11.8%ABV - Imperial Black Ale, aged for 10 months in Heaven Hill barrels.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Umami - 12%ABV - Wheat Wine, aged for 9 months in Jim Beam barrels.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Steel Wheels - 8%ABV - This barrel aged Oatmeal Stout is made from a blend of 75% Woodford Reserve barrels (15 months) and 25% Sorghum Syrup bourbon barrels.

*Sampler flights will be available for these beers in 5 ounce pours, $16/choice of 4 beers*

Additionally, we thought we would unleash our latest Wild/Sour Ale in the form of a very limited bottle release!

"Cherry Friek" is our version of a Kriek, made with 30 pounds of tart cherries per barrel and using a wild fermentation. To say that we are excited about sharing this beer with you would be an understatement! Only 50 of these 750ml bottles will be released, so plan on getting there early! $20/bottle, Limit 1 (We open at 11:30AM that day)

Just when you thought we were done.....we will have a limited amount of Bourbon Barrel Aged Trippel Weizenbock ($25/750ml bottle) and Barrel Aged Maillot Jaune ($18/750ml bottle) available to take home as well!

*The December Darkness party will be FREE admission from 11:30AM until 7:00PM. At that time, we will open our lower bar for those of you that want to continue to hit our taps (FREE admission downstairs still).....or "Wait" for doors to open for that night’s concert!

To crank the darkness level up to 11, we have:

Tom Waits Tribute Show, performed by Jeremy MacKinder

Saturday, December 6th 2014

8:00PM show

$8 in advance/$10 at the door

*Special Firkin tapping for this show as well!

*We will have more information on other special tappings and firkins in the near future so stay tuned!!

b3shine
beers 12191 º places 372 º 15:39 Wed 10/15/2014

Can’t wait!

mikem409
beers 2032 º places 251 º 20:08 Wed 10/15/2014

Nice!!

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 06:24 Fri 10/17/2014

I will try to make it

umich03jm
beers 3512 º places 13 º 07:24 Sat 10/25/2014

I really wish I could make it to this. Just tried the Cherry Friek at the Detroit Beer Festival yesterday and it was awesome.

TheLivery
09:37 Thu 11/20/2014

We are starting to get excited for this party!!

Here are the firkin details for the event:

Firkin #1 (Tapped at 1pm):

Steel Wheels (Oatmeal Stout, 6.4%) with Coffee (from Uncommon Coffee Roasters), Cinnamon & Chili Peppers

Firkin #2 (Tapped at 8pm, during Tom Waits Tribute show):

Steel Wheels (Oatmeal Stout, 6.4%) with Dark Sweet Cherries, Vanilla & Cocoa Nibs

TheLivery
15:16 Tue 12/2/2014

In addition to our 6 Bourbon Barrel Aged beers, we will also have the following on tap during our December Darkness event:

Cherry Friek 6.2% - Wheat based sour/wild ale, aged in oak with 30 pounds of tart cherries in each barrel.

BA Maillot Jaune 6% - This is our Bier de Garde, aged in white wine oak barrels for 1 year. Additions of Brettanomyces and Lactobacillus give this light bodied beer gentle touches of tartness and funk!

Trippel Weizenbock 12% - This is the base beer for our Bourbon Cask Aged version. Side by side tasting encouraged!

Lil’ Wize Ass 5.3% - This Belgian Dark Wheat Ale is made from the second runnings of Trippel Weizenbock. See what we did here?

Belgian Amber 9.3% - This is the base beer for our Verchuosity. Big and bold, this one can stand on it’s own!

Old Man Mason 9% - Big, rich and chewy....this is our take on an American Barley Wine

Steel Wheels 6.4% -Nitro- We put a twist on this classic style using Chinook and Cascade hop additions....along with an additional Cascade dry-hopping. The malt bill is equally as complicated using a pale malt, flaked oats, chocolate malt, biscuit malt, crystal malt and roasted barley! This has a smooth and silky mouth feel. You like flavor? So do we!

The Blacksmith 6.5% -Nitro- Our American Stout. Traditional in style but with a modern spin in the form of a Fuggle dry-hop.

Wee Heavy 8.75% -Beer Engine- Loaded with caramelized malts and hints of smoke. Don’t let this beer fool you, it packs a punch!

Divine Paradox 10.5% - This is probably the hoppiest beer we make! We don’t pull any punches here, from additions of Columbus, Chinook and Falconer’s Flight, this beauty will destroy your palate! The malt bill takes a back seat to the hop profile, but adds a subtle sweetness that takes just enough edge off to make this another dangerously drinkable beer. Although, it does clock in at 10.5% abv. Proceed with caution!

McGilligans 6.5% - Our house IPA. Big hop presence by design, with notes of citrus & pine that is balanced by a solid malt bill.

See you this Saturday!!!!

TheLivery
12:38 Fri 12/5/2014

Cherry Friek bottles waxed and ready for tomorrow morning! December Darkness falls at 11:30am! Again, only 50 bottles being released, limit 1 per person, $20.

See you then!

b3shine
beers 12191 º places 372 º 08:22 Mon 12/8/2014

Great event! The lineup was fantastic, as was the service. And the Cherry Friek is outstanding!

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 08:39 Mon 12/8/2014

Originally posted by b3shine
Great event! The lineup was fantastic, as was the service. And the Cherry Friek is outstanding!

I was going to ask how the Cherry Friek was. I have a bottle coming my way this week although I’m always reluctant to trade for a sour from a brewery not known for its sour program. I take it that you liked it?

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 08:49 Mon 12/8/2014

Originally posted by hopscotch
Originally posted by b3shine

I was going to ask how the Cherry Friek was. I have a bottle coming my way this week although I’m always reluctant to trade for a sour from a brewery not known for its sour program. I take it that you liked it?

Not trying to be a homer here, but The Livery Verchuosity is ranked #11 in the Fruit/Radler style and it is wild fermented. So, there is some acknowledgment of the sour program. The Livery typically always has at least one sour on tap as well.

Cherry Friek is a great american sour in my opinion, getting back to the point. I thought the bottle was juicier in terms of the cherry presence than the draft, which seemed a bit drier in the finish.