This is ridiculous

Reads 8778 • Replies 66 • Started Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:52:55 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

MaltOMeal
beers 1094 º places 46 º 10:49 Tue 10/13/2009

Originally posted by mcox90
Originally posted by SuIIy
I dont drink energy drinks, but I will make sure to continue to not buy monster products

+1

+2

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 13:52 Tue 10/13/2009

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
I don’t buy it, particularly based on the aforementioned Brooklyn Monster Ale...

Originally posted by after4ever
If you own a trademark on a given name, you are obliged, by law, to defend it.

The fact that Monster is doing this doesn’t mean that they feel like the brewer is infringing on their brand. Could be someone just gave them the impression that they could lose their trademark rights if they let this slide. It’s entirely possible that they will send him letters, then "decide not to pursue it."

Better than even odds that they hate what this will do to their PR, and they find it a pointless PITA.

I believe that trademark existed before the energy drink did. I know it’s been around at least since ’01, don’t know about the energy drink.

Every single thing posted above is true, other than the conjecture that I specifically noted. I have been a part businesses large and small that had to fight to defend their trademarks, and, frankly, many staff often felt it was probably not time well spent, other than the fact that they were legally compelled to do it.

I have no knowledge of what’s going on at the energy drink company, obviously.

gkost
beers 1069 º places 32 º 14:01 Tue 10/13/2009

You’ll never guess who owns the Monster Brand ...

http://www.anheuser-busch.com/brandPages/monster.html

mtoast
beers 336 º places 13 º 14:13 Tue 10/13/2009

Originally posted by TampaBrew
You’ll never guess who owns the Monster Brand ...

http://www.anheuser-busch.com/brandPages/monster.html

A-B distributing partnership since 2006

That’s not the same as "owns".

gkost
beers 1069 º places 32 º 14:19 Tue 10/13/2009

True, but referred to as a AB Brand. Still stinks and I am sure there is AB $$$ involved in one way or another.

blindeyedbetty
beers 189 º places 4 º 14:38 Tue 10/13/2009

I think I may boycott all Hansen soda drinks in addition to Monster.

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 15:36 Tue 10/13/2009

Are they also going after 5 Seasons, Arrow Brewing, Back Road, Ballast Point, Black Lotus, Brewerie, Brooklyn, Cairngorm, Charleville, Coastal, Deschutes, General Lafayette, Hales, Half Moon, New Old Lompoc, Nobbys, Mikkeller, Norrebro, Oakham, Outer Banks, Pangaea, Paper City, Red Lodge, Red Dot, Ringneck, Rivertowne, Rock Bottom, Rocky River, Ruth McGowans, Sacramento, Sandlers, Sand Creek, Shenandoah, Spin Inn, Springfield Mueller, Terrapin, and Wye Valley?

All of those breweries have beers that use the name monster in the title. This is retarded and I hope Hanssens loses miserably. I am joining the boycott of their products.

paiste2002
beers 186 º places 17 º 16:32 Tue 10/13/2009

Originally posted by blindeyedbetty
I think I may boycott all Hansen soda drinks in addition to Monster.

Stop by the Hansen’s site and send off an e-mail letting them know that your no longer going to buy any Hansen’s products. Be polite but make it clear that you intend to no longer support the brand.
If you sell Hansen’s products do the same boycott these products
and they will feel the pinch.

gunhaver
beers 1030 º places 13 º 16:38 Tue 10/13/2009

is it just me or is "Vermonster" different than "Monster"

walleye
beers 1101 º places 56 º 16:41 Tue 10/13/2009

Originally posted by MOboy
Originally posted by TheBeerGod
Didn’t see this posted anywhere else on here.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091012/ap_on_bi_ge/us_monster_drink_fight_2

Time to boycott Monster and all of its products, I’d say.

I’d have to agree. Any lawyers out there want to do some pro bono work?

WHERE IS JK?