Tips for international shipping?

Reads 9487 • Replies 11 • Started Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:06:09 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

RamyG4
beers 324 º places 3 º 06:06 Thu 3/22/2012

I’m about to make my first international trade, shipping to Denmark. From what I’ve gathered so far:

-Use USPS (Obviously, since FedEd and UPS would cost $250+)
-Keep the declared value low
-Say it’s "collectible glassware"

Anything else I should know?

phredrik
beers 1024 º places 31 º 06:35 Thu 3/22/2012

Make a customs declaration like this one.
Make sure that the declared value is around $30-50 dollars depending on how many bottles you ship. Don’t make the value suspiciously low.

Pack it very well. Has to be bombproof, cause it gets rough.

Perhaps add a "rattle" to mask the noises of the beverage, and declare that one as a baby rattle. I always do that and have had no problem with customs.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 07:42 Thu 3/22/2012

Originally posted by phredrik
Make sure that the declared value is around $30-50 dollars depending on how many bottles you ship. Don’t make the value suspiciously low.

Perhaps add a "rattle" to mask the noises of the beverage, and declare that one as a baby rattle. I always do that and have had no problem with customs.

1) It is actually illegal to ship beer through the USPS, though I did very recently, so declaring beer is an instant rejection at the desk.
2) USPS has very specific customs forms to use, either online or at the local branch.
3) I agree with the packaging, I always try and use a styro shipper, if not, double boxed and packed to excess.

As a side note, the clerk at my local said filling out the customs forms online makes the packages more susceptible to inspection by Homeland Security and Customs, as opposed to manually filling them out. No clue if it is true.

Pallieter85
beers 15 º places 26 º 08:08 Thu 3/22/2012

Declare it as yeast samples, works better than collectible glassware.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 08:11 Thu 3/22/2012

I always filled out everything online, then had the mailman pickup directly at my house. They tend to ask a lot less questions and you don’t have to bother going to the post office.

RamyG4
beers 324 º places 3 º 08:14 Thu 3/22/2012

Originally posted by TheCheeseMan
Originally posted by phredrik

1) It is actually illegal to ship beer through the USPS, though I did very recently, so declaring beer is an instant rejection at the desk.
2) USPS has very specific customs forms to use, either online or at the local branch.
3) I agree with the packaging, I always try and use a styro shipper, if not, double boxed and packed to excess.

As a side note, the clerk at my local said filling out the customs forms online makes the packages more susceptible to inspection by Homeland Security and Customs, as opposed to manually filling them out. No clue if it is true.

I can see that being true. Someone manually filling it out at a post office is less likely to have something to hide.

Is "collectible glassware" sufficient, or should I write down something more specific?

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 15:00 Thu 3/22/2012

Originally posted by RamyG4
Is "collectible glassware" sufficient, or should I write down something more specific?

-Keep it more ambiguous. Collectable glass is better than collectable glassware, IMO.
-Otherwise, I agree with everything thecheeseman said.

RamyG4
beers 324 º places 3 º 21:04 Mon 3/26/2012

When filling it out online it requires specific information about each item. Should I still leave it at collectable glass for each item I list?

javit
21:44 Mon 3/26/2012

My packages from Belgium always come as "Lambic glassware" and it seems to be ok.

RamyG4
beers 324 º places 3 º 07:59 Tue 3/27/2012

Originally posted by RamyG4
When filling it out online it requires specific information about each item. Should I still leave it at collectable glass for each item I list?

Bump, trying to get this out today so would really appreciate some help.

The package weighs 25 lbs, would something like this work:

Item 1: Collectable glass-5 lbs
Item 2: Collectable glass-5 lbs
Item 3: Collectable glass-4 lbs
Item 4: Collectable glass-4 lbs
Item 5: Collectable glass-4 lbs

fbm115
beers 187 º places 13 º 08:17 Tue 3/27/2012

I declare the items as "collectable glassware" "collectable aluminum cans" and indicate a "gift"

list each individual item, 375ml, 750ml, 12 oz glass bottle, 12 oz aluminum can etc. Keep it basic, no need to share too much info and no need to lie about the contents...

I’ll usually declare $5 per bottle. I think the recipient can get taxed so I try to keep it low.