Traveller-friendly Auckland bottleshops

Reads 436 • Replies 2 • Started Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:23:00 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

FatPhil
beers 26310 º places 998 º 10:23 Tue 3/14/2017

A friend is in Auckland currently, and has volunteered to carry back a whole case of beers for me. However, he’s got no experience of packing a case with glass bottles safely. I can talk him through my procedure (involving bubblewrap, socks, t-shirts, and not being content until you are willing to punch the f*ck out of your case because you know that’s what the luggage handlers will be doing), but he’ll need lots of bubble-wrap. Are there any traveller-friendly bottle-shops in Auckland who will be able to provide him with enough bubble-wrap or other packing material to make survival likely?

nate2g
beers 1548 º places 1290 º 12:00 Tue 3/14/2017

The best two options for selection in central Auckland is Brothers Beer and Glengarry Wines Victoria Park. Both are on Wellesley St West and roughly a 5 minute walk apart.

Not sure if they provide packaging material but I’m sure the staff would help him out with something.

Also to consider, a large quantity of Kiwi craft beer is packaged in cans these days, so that may help ease the stress of potentially damaged goods on your end.

jercraigs
beers 14909 º places 1052 º 12:51 Tue 3/14/2017

You could call/email ahead. I had limited time in Auckland with a car so I emailed Glengarry Wines before I left Canada and they had a box of stuff waiting for me that was available in store but not listed online. I grabbed the box quickly and headed north out of town with the car. I’m sure if you asked they could airport proof a box for you. (No idea if they might charge you or not)