Vintage Hunahpu

Reads 863 • Replies 13 • Started Monday, December 5, 2016 1:12:29 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

dogfishho
beers 669 º places 3 º 13:12 Mon 12/5/2016

Digging around in my basement yesterday I happened across a bottle of Hunahpu from 2011 that I totally forgot about (funny story... I bought this in a liquor store in Tampa about a week after Hunahpu day that year). Anyone have any experience aging this beer for this long?

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 13:28 Mon 12/5/2016

I had recently had Hunahpus from 2007, 2010, and 2011 as well (right at the five years mark from my last encounter) and they were all so messy and scatterbrained I ended up giving my glasses to the host. The one I rated on the database with a score of 4.5 was from 2011 or 2012 ans was opened in 2013, so only one or two years old. The 2007 was harsh, oxidized (very apparent), and yeasty - basically drinking sludge. It was like if you added a little cracked black pepper to a cocoa-based drink that was wildly alcoholic. The 2010 was a little cleaner, tasted more brown sugar and sweet notes, but spice and vanilla fell out and cinnamon was very apparent. A little pepperiness at swallow. The 2011 was probably the best vintage I tried: the base was very coherent and unmistakable, but the cinnamon and cocoa were remembered as not surviving the years. Vanilla inched its way through at the end, as did some general red pepperiness, but it was pretty mild overall.
Everyone says age it, but me and a few friends agree - drink in after cellaring for a few months or age for no more than 2.5 years.

UPDATE: After doing a little bit of research, it’s hard to find examples of either 2007 and 2010 Hunahpus, though that is what I was told what it was. Basically I consumed a 2011 and that’s the description for it above, and two other Hunahpus that I thought and was told were and had been years before the 2011 release. Someone throw some numbers down quick and get some facts all up in here. Still I think it’s true what I said: a better beer to consume within the 2 year mark.

boogychillin
beers 7 º places 1 º 08:37 Tue 12/6/2016

Hunahpus was not made in 2007 or at least released in bottles.

Ibrew2or3
beers 10534 º places 353 º 08:52 Tue 12/6/2016

Originally posted by boogychillin

The brewery opened in 2009 and Hunahpus was only on draft that year.

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 09:02 Tue 12/6/2016

Originally posted by Ibrew2or3

Don’t let facts get in the way of a good conversation.

Ibrew2or3
beers 10534 º places 353 º 10:27 Tue 12/6/2016

Originally posted by beastiefan2k

Don’t let facts get in the way of a good conversation.

Excellent point.

Back on topic: I haven’t had one older than 10 months probably. I suspect it doesn’t improve with age. A gave my sister a bottle at least 3 years ago and she hasn’t opened it yet. When I see her next it’s getting opened.

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 12:41 Tue 12/6/2016

Guys,

1) I said that I might be wrong and asked for people to correct me, so, thanks, I guess. Sometimes hosts just like to be slippery liars understandably so an embarrassing mistake like that could be made possible on a forum thread of a beer-rating website based out of California. So cool, it’s like I’m advancing the plot of some mostly-gibberish novel that we’re all just puppets in.
2) I definitely should have included a TL;DR at the end of my rant. "The older a Hunaupu is, from personal experience, the messier it tastes" is all that would be written afterwards. Anything more than that wouldn’t be as poetic. Aw, and you see what I just did there...? Shit.

maximum12
beers 32 º 14:01 Tue 12/6/2016

It’s hard to generalize because Huna has tasted different fresh each year, especially those first couple of go-rounds.

The initial bottling in 2011 had only a faint heat to it, even fresh. I had my last one probably a year ago & it tasted like Zhukov’s with a bare echo of spicing - not a bad thing, but not what you want in a Hunahpu’s.

The 2012 was super spicy & took about 18 months for it to calm down enough for me to appreciate...but then it was sublime. I had one last year at the same time (three years) & it was still magnificent.

Just had a 2016 a few weeks ago & damn, don’t sit on those. They’re perfect right now. Mine won’t see their first birthday.

There’s lot of "don’t age these because of the heat" out there, but it really depends on which year you’re talking about. Personally, I love the base beer & don’t want the heat to cover it up, so I’ve *very generally* found they’re best at 12 -18 months. YMMV.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 14:18 Tue 12/6/2016

For what its worth there were a couple of growlers of CCB beers at RBSG San Diego grand tasting in 2008. I assume they were test batches.

Ibrew2or3
beers 10534 º places 353 º 15:27 Tue 12/6/2016

Originally posted by StefanSD

For what its worth there were a couple of growlers of CCB beers at RBSG San Diego grand tasting in 2008. I assume they were test batches.

You are absolutely right. My brain appears to have taken a vacation.

Great stuff maximum12. Thanks for sharing.

fatknitty
19:04 Tue 12/6/2016

we did them all about 2 years ago and 20011 and 2012 stood out. I also have a checkin for a 2010 though.