Why do people wait in long lines for craft beer

Reads 4058 • Replies 70 • Started Wednesday, April 26, 2017 8:17:58 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

77ships
beers 14200 º places 918 º 15:39 Wed 4/26/2017

Standing in line for beer releases is a very USA thing, Americans like to stand in line for many things, I cannot imagine local beer geeks doing this in most European countries.

I have waited in line at beer festivals, I want to get the specials, gives me time to sober up, I tick faster than others usually, I wait in line, they are done by the time I am back,.... Waiting 10 min. in line at a beer festival is not the same as waiting 5 hours outside etc. I think.

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 15:59 Wed 4/26/2017

Originally posted by harrisoni
The only queue I did this year at Borefts was the one for the Omnipollo Lemon Meringue Ice Cream Pie and that was only because I was doing it for someone else and needed to sober up a bit by not having a drink for a bit.

In the amount of time most people waited in that line for Omnipollo, I probably tried three things from Labietis.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 16:08 Wed 4/26/2017

Originally posted by adamnowek
The only queue I did this year at Borefts was the one for the Omnipollo Lemon Meringue Ice Cream Pie and that was only because I was doing it for someone else and needed to sober up a bit by not having a drink for a bit.

In the amount of time most people waited in that line for Omnipollo, I probably tried three things from Labietis.

Exactly my point. Why wait for one beer that may be ok when you cam get 3.

Fin
beers 17271 º places 1653 º 16:15 Wed 4/26/2017

Originally posted by adamnowek

Exactly my point. Why wait for one beer that may be ok when you cam get 3.

Yes Borefts was a good point made. I love Ominopollo, they’re great, but I couldn’t be arsed to stand in a queue when I could saunter up to Lervig and get a Three Bean Impy Stout or any number of equally great beers from great breweries that for whatever reason are not quite the centre spread material for that particular month.

Reid
beers 3528 º places 95 º 16:50 Wed 4/26/2017

I do not understand it, but we are all different.
In my 14 years on here never stood in line for a beer. But then i usually like the lower alcohol "unpopular" styles and shy away from the whales.

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 17:49 Wed 4/26/2017

I went through varying degrees of being obsessed with trading beers and seeking rare beers and eventually got over it.

I’d like to think I grew up and am happy with the beer I can get, but I know that’s only part of it.

A lot of it is where I live now... nothing happens here and I don’t have the time or funds to go to any big bottle releases. I had to just eventually get over the fact that I wasn’t gonna be seeking any crazy sought after beers anymore.

Maybe that forced realization has helped me, though. Last year at Huny Day people literally RAN into the fest to get to Toppling Goliath, Wakefield, etc. I just wandered, catching up with old friends, first trying all the Georgia beers, then just cruising for good sours from any brewery. So much good beer just sits at the fests when people chase the mega hype beers.

These days I’m just happy if a local store gets a beer I haven’t had before! Though it seems to have gotten better lately.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 18:34 Wed 4/26/2017

Answer: Because the beer is that good and popular

That said, I am in the same boat as deerow for the most part. I know I can get a lot of good East Coast style IPAs if I want to just drink beer. I can also get a great crispy, hoppy pils if I want one too. And new stuff bites me on the bottom nowadays to keep things interesting so it’s hard for me to get rabidly into standing in long lines myself.

Although, maybe for a few things...

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 19:25 Wed 4/26/2017

Because beer is a fad. :o

Bitterbill
beers 3241 º places 25 º 20:04 Wed 4/26/2017

I only waited in lines when I went to the GABF.

The beer at the end of that line is likely at a price I’d never pay for a beer. But I’m an American, so I guess I don’t have a choice in the matter?