Winnipeg might be worth visiting in 6 months

Reads 1307 • Replies 6 • Started Wednesday, August 12, 2015 12:09:32 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

northropfrye
beers 4425 º places 327 º 12:09 Wed 8/12/2015

Everyone knows right now Winnipeg has one of the smallest craft beer "scenes" in North America. We haven’t had a new brewery since 2006 and only have two in total. I guess loosening legislation (legalizing growlers and taprooms) might have something to do with this, but from my count there are 7-9 new breweries and brewpubs set to open in the next 6 months to a year. Some might not happen but a few have already bought brewing equipment. Two of the more notable are PEG, run by Nicole Barry, formerly of Half Pints and Barnhammer with a former Alley Kat head brewer. Others I’m aware of are Torque, One Great City, Aurora, and a couple other nameless ones. Plus, there’s an opportunity for a turnkey brewpub at the Forks.

http://theforkswinnipeg.blogspot.ca/2015/08/something-special-is-brewing-at-forks.html

Looks like we’re going from the worst beer scene to little Portland....hopefully.

rudge75
15:52 Tue 8/25/2015

Originally posted by northropfrye
PEG Beer Co.
Barn Hammer
Torque
One Great City
Aurora,
a turnkey brewpub at the Forks

Add to this:
- Stein Brewing (with Gary DePape - founding brewer of Agassiz)
- Stone Angel Brewing
- A brewpub at the Quality Inn on Grant.
- Darren Wanless is still looking for the right space, so don’t count him out
- the possibility of a brewpub in the True North Square complex (currently in research phase)
- A brewery in Churchill, still in planning stages
- A micro distillery currently in the buildout process.
- two commercial hop yards (both small but growing)

jercraigs
beers 14915 º places 1052 º 20:02 Tue 8/25/2015

wow!

CapFlu
beers 5136 º places 238 º 20:14 Wed 8/26/2015

That’s great news, Andrew and Dave. I hope the industry grows rapidly.

rudge75
12:07 Fri 9/18/2015

Additions to the list:
3 Restaurants (one in WPG, 2 rural) to add brewing capabilities,
2 more rural breweries
- one of which is Farmery, who have finally purchased a building in Neepawa to house a brewery/taproom and possibly bring their production to Manitoba.

solidfunk
beers 20103 º places 1038 º 12:36 Mon 10/5/2015

Damn, I’m going to be in town in a couple weeks. Wish they’d hurry the process up a little.

northropfrye
beers 4425 º places 327 º 16:36 Thu 11/19/2015

This is awesome. Thanks for the update!