Worlds Bitterest Beer created in Oxfordshire?

Reads 4686 • Replies 22 • Started Monday, January 4, 2010 2:32:11 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Fin
beers 17271 º places 1653 º 02:32 Mon 1/4/2010

Pitstop Brewery have gone all out to produce the world’s bitterest beer, Peter Fowler owner and brewer of the Pitstop brewery, Grove, nr Wantage, Oxfordhsire has tried to create a beer that he hopes will be about 500 IBUs See link below for more details.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/headlines/4828442.Brewer_s_bid_to_be_the_bitterest/

I’m not totally convinced that it will be my thing but I’d try it and it’s nice to see a brewery from around these parts getting in the news for a change. Was in the Royal Oak yesterday where it is due to be sold in later this month. I may have to get the camper down there to give this one a go.

scrizzz
beers 2223 º places 6 º 02:35 Mon 1/4/2010

ISO......kinda

omhper
beers 40214 º places 332 º 02:51 Mon 1/4/2010

Mjollnir
beers 534 º places 12 º 02:58 Mon 1/4/2010

Originally posted by omhper
He’s 1507 IBUs off target I’m afraid:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/mikkeller-x-hop-juice-2007-ibu/72895/
Blimey...

Surely that contravenes some chemical weapons convention or other?

Fin
beers 17271 º places 1653 º 03:05 Mon 1/4/2010

There was an interesting response at the bottom of that article. See below. Be interested to see what some of our more knowledgeable contributors made of this response.

As a brewer, he should know that there is a theoretical maximum for iso-alpha-acid solubility - this means that he won’t get anywhere near his theoretical 500IBUs he calculates.

Also, humans can’t perceive any increase in bitterness much beyond about 80-90IBUs. Unfortunately, it looks like the beer will be sold fairly young instead of aging it for a year or so to make it a great beer, so it makes it all a bit of a gimmick I think.

Beers with theoretical IBU values of 200+ at ~7%ABV were regularly brewed as pale ales for export in the 19th century so this kind of beer is hardly new!

Fin
beers 17271 º places 1653 º 03:11 Mon 1/4/2010

Originally posted by omhper
He’s 1507 IBUs off target I’m afraid:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/mikkeller-x-hop-juice-2007-ibu/72895/

I don’t expect he’ll be too upset, he can still claim a record if it is authorised and will probably have to be content with brewing the world’s bitterest barley wine.

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 05:40 Mon 1/4/2010

I can’t wait until someone brews the world’s shittiest beer. Now that will be a record worth holding!

On a serious note, who cares how many IBUs one can create? The human palate can only detect up to a certain point. After that, the brewer is just wasting hops.

IrishBoy
beers 4707 º places 141 º 06:55 Mon 1/4/2010

Originally posted by Cletus
I can’t wait until someone brews the world’s shittiest beer. Now that will be a record worth holding!

I thought InBev with it’s Bud Light Chelada already held that record!

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 07:57 Mon 1/4/2010

I’m pretty sure dickinsonbeer has that beat. Maybe not. Can’t remember. Too much lupulin on the brain.

MOboy
beers 510 º places 3 º 08:14 Mon 1/4/2010

Originally posted by Fin
There was an interesting response at the bottom of that article. See below. Be interested to see what some of our more knowledgeable contributors made of this response.

As a brewer, he should know that there is a theoretical maximum for iso-alpha-acid solubility - this means that he won’t get anywhere near his theoretical 500IBUs he calculates.

Also, humans can’t perceive any increase in bitterness much beyond about 80-90IBUs. Unfortunately, it looks like the beer will be sold fairly young instead of aging it for a year or so to make it a great beer, so it makes it all a bit of a gimmick I think.

Beers with theoretical IBU values of 200+ at ~7%ABV were regularly brewed as pale ales for export in the 19th century so this kind of beer is hardly new!

The claim above regarding 200+ IBU’s regularly being brewed in the 19th century for export is one I’d like to see a source for.

Fin
beers 17271 º places 1653 º 08:58 Mon 1/4/2010

Originally posted by MOboy
Originally posted by Fin

The claim above regarding 200+ IBU’s regularly being brewed in the 19th century for export is one I’d like to see a source for.

Mmhh.. I also wondered where that info’ came from. Sadly you’d probably need to go to the trouble of leaving a follow-up comment on the Oxford Mail website asking that person for detail on that point I would imagine, but that would mean registering and a bit of faf.

Fin