Florida Weisse my a**! Oregon Weisse!

Reads 3872 • Replies 58 • Started Thursday, May 14, 2015 7:51:56 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Oakes
admin
beers 30677 º places 1135 º 09:46 Fri 5/15/2015

Sour Wheat is a more accurate way of describing it.

It can’t be American revived (again, check the history, it’s not) and Berliner-style anyway. Most have nothing to do with Berlin, which is precisely why so many people get their knickers in a knot. It’s just a name people use. What does that name mean?

Sour Wheat.

No need to overcomplicate things.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 09:56 Fri 5/15/2015

Oakes
admin
beers 30677 º places 1135 º 10:05 Fri 5/15/2015

Originally posted by Theydon_Bois
Originally posted by Marduk
Originally posted by joet
berliner is actually an american-revived style like IPA and porter

Care to elaborate that porter part?

We’ve had many cask porters in the UK throughout my drinking career and whilst there is now way more beer choice available in the UK compared to 20 years ago, I’d say that the amount of porters on the market has not changed exponentially.

The basic story - which isn’t really complete - is that Guinness Porter was the last in the UK, dying out in 1974 in Belfast. Anchor Porter was introduced in 1972, and became the model for porters thereafter. (We can save the porter vs. stout shenanigans for some other day - we’re just talking about the name porter to denote a dark ale).

The story isn’t complete because porter still existed in the US (Stegmaier & Yuengling) and Canada (Champlain, Labatt). The Canadian ones lasted until the 90s and Yuengling is still going. But most porter today over here is based on what Anchor did. That is my opinion, based on what these five respective porters taste(d) like.

The other incomplete part of the narrative is that porter was being revived in the UK as early as 1978, according to Martyn Cornell. But it was gone for four years, and it was only brewed in North America during those years.

So the indignation from the other side of the water is definitely overblown here. Porter would obviously have been revived anyway, without Anchor. But Porter was a fringe drink for quite a few years in the UK, while at the same time was a staple of almost every young brewing company in the US and Canada in the early 80s, and was produced that entire time by some very prominent brewers as well.

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 10:14 Fri 5/15/2015

Can we split Berliners into 2 categories: fruited and unfruited?
Thanks.

Sarlacc83
beers 2662 º places 111 º 23:22 Fri 5/15/2015

To be fair, most of those should probably be labeled Sour/Wild or Fruit Beer. I’m only like 1/3rd joking.

Reid
beers 3533 º places 95 º 23:47 Fri 5/15/2015

Originally posted by Oakes
Originally posted by Theydon_Bois
Originally posted by Marduk
Originally posted by joet
berliner is actually an american-revived style like IPA and porter

Care to elaborate that porter part?

We’ve had many cask porters in the UK throughout my drinking career and whilst there is now way more beer choice available in the UK compared to 20 years ago, I’d say that the amount of porters on the market has not changed exponentially.

The basic story - which isn’t really complete - is that Guinness Porter was the last in the UK, dying out in 1974 in Belfast. Anchor Porter was introduced in 1972, and became the model for porters thereafter. (We can save the porter vs. stout shenanigans for some other day - we’re just talking about the name porter to denote a dark ale).

The story isn’t complete because porter still existed in the US (Stegmaier & Yuengling) and Canada (Champlain, Labatt). The Canadian ones lasted until the 90s and Yuengling is still going. But most porter today over here is based on what Anchor did. That is my opinion, based on what these five respective porters taste(d) like.

The other incomplete part of the narrative is that porter was being revived in the UK as early as 1978, according to Martyn Cornell. But it was gone for four years, and it was only brewed in North America during those years.

So the indignation from the other side of the water is definitely overblown here. Porter would obviously have been revived anyway, without Anchor. But Porter was a fringe drink for quite a few years in the UK, while at the same time was a staple of almost every young brewing company in the US and Canada in the early 80s, and was produced that entire time by some very prominent brewers as well.

Michael Jackson says that the lower gravity porters became Dark Milds ( those also almost disappeared).

blipp
beers 14843 º places 219 º 07:56 Sat 5/16/2015

Originally posted by joeneugs
De Garde has NINE of the top 12 berliner weisse in the world. Talk about dominance!

How did we make it three pages without any homering allegations?

MacBoost
beers 2074 º places 37 º 08:00 Sat 5/16/2015

Because most of the ratings are not from Oregon.
But my assertion still stands that there should be fruited and unfruited Berliner Weisse categories.

suprchunk
beers 2996 º places 147 º 08:31 Sat 5/16/2015

Originally posted by Oakes

Sour Wheat.

No need to overcomplicate things.

Today I learned that Berliner is literally translated to "sour".

crossovert
beers 17165 º places 150 º 10:26 Sat 5/16/2015

If only they had decent packaging and sold it in 10$ 6 packs... Berliner weisse should cheap and plentiful, its a refreshing style that you want to guzzle lots of.