Professional Beer Monger??

Reads 4915 • Replies 49 • Started Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:14:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

ParkerDaniels
08:14 Wed 4/24/2013

Hey guys...

I was recently asked to work full time for a couple craft beer spots as a beer monger and "getter of everything badass in craft beer". As a guy in love with the industry, the offer is definitely in my wheel house. My question to you all is: how long can an establishment keep me employed with such a positiion? Not only would they be paying me a salary, but also all expenses incurred for acquiring beer. It seems as though the position can only run as long as great new beers keep coming out. I’m asking as to the viability of such a position for myself and the stores.

Thanks for your help.

devman171
beers 1221 º places 164 º 08:30 Wed 4/24/2013

sounds awesome, I’s think of it more as a part time gig.. new beers are always coming out so i wouldnt worry about that

ParkerDaniels
08:36 Wed 4/24/2013

I do it part time for one of places already. I was shocked when they asked me to do it full time...how is it financially viable for them?

Thanks for your input man.

devman171
beers 1221 º places 164 º 08:43 Wed 4/24/2013

As long as the bar/retailer can sell enough of the beer you acquire to cover the cost of you it makes perfect sense. for example of salary plus travel costs say ($50K), a bar would need to sell around 17000 bottles at $3 above cost to start seeing a profit on a per year basis..

devman171
beers 1221 º places 164 º 08:52 Wed 4/24/2013

just ask them what their business case is for your new job

ParkerDaniels
08:53 Wed 4/24/2013

That definitely puts this into perspective..thanks again.

AdamChandler
beers 6124 º places 278 º 08:55 Wed 4/24/2013

I’m confused. isn’t this going around the 3 tier system? What state allows a bar to acquire bottles (I’m assuming you’re trading / buying bottles from out of state) and then sell them at a markup in the bar?

so let’s say you get a case of some wine barrel aged saison from Oregon that retails there for $15 but you sell it for say $50 to cover costs, etc. is that allowed? or maybe I’m just confused what this job entails.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 08:56 Wed 4/24/2013

Originally posted by devman171
just ask them what their business case is for your new job

this is good advice. you want to make sure, as one of the many parts of your process, that the position is viable. You’re presumably going to be investing a period of your life in this.

And yeah, I would think such a position could be viable ongoing. New beers will always come out and new hot breweries are always coming out. Getting your hands on great beers is something that requires relationship-building and hustle. This is something the average retaielr can’t afford, timewise.

ParkerDaniels
08:56 Wed 4/24/2013

I did ask them...they are working on other venues as well and I would basically be traveling for those hard to finds and garnering relationships with breweries and event coordinators. They asked me how it could work out for both parties, hence the posting. I know it would be awesome for me, but I don’t want them to shoot themsleves in the foot and then I’m out of a job in a few months.

Your previous post with the dollars and "sense" definitely helps.

Thanks!

devman171
beers 1221 º places 164 º 08:57 Wed 4/24/2013

as long as nobody snitches... could be a new reality show like Moonshiners..

ParkerDaniels
09:01 Wed 4/24/2013

HAHAHAHAHA