RBESG10

Reads 13475 • Replies 97 • Started Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:24:54 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

MesandSim
beers 7116 º places 35 º 14:24 Tue 11/24/2009

Guys sorry for starting another post. The last thread title didn’t seem to fit now that things have moved on and I really couldn’t be bothered digging out the older one...

Anyway, it appears Alex is having a little trouble with his account settings and can’t make forum posts for the time being (any admin folks have any ideas?) so I am making this post on his behalf.

Being new to RB, he would like some guidance as to when is best to hold it for a start. He would also like some indication of numbers. Also I’m guessing we still need a grand tasting discussion? Do we need some sort of official thread from an admin or can we just discuss in here and get a plan together so we can add an event?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Per? Henrik? Neilo? Anyone...?

Should anyone need it for reference, Alex’s original proposal is pasted below:

Originally posted by Alex420

Hello Everybody!!

I’m Alex from Brasserie 4:20 in Rome.
Sorry for the delay, but it’s been crazy times recently with Mikkel, Rulles and other brewers coming to Rome, with the incredible first edition of Molenfest to attend as well.
For my proposal: I would love to show you around Rome and organize this trip. I really believe that we’ve got something going here in Rome and this could be a really good excuse to check it out!!
I’m sure that many italian publicans and brewers will be happy to come along with us and I’m sure that this could be a nice occasion to have other international brewers to come as well.
Even if this is just a start, a starting plan, we can only get this program to be better and better.

Thursday:
Arrival to Rome, meeting point @ Brasserie 4:20 for an easy evening, beer-tasting, food pairing and a bit of relax after the trip. Meet the Italian/International brewers that will join us for these days.

Friday:
Crawl through Jhonny’s off-licence beershop, Grado Plato beershop.
Italian beer tasting with Italian brewers and food pairing @ Bir&Fud.
Last beer @ Ma che ce siete venuti a fa’ (football pub) with Manuele,
Who still want’s to crawl: Brasserie 4:20, MastroTitta

Saturday:
Free morning, to cruise Rome.
Beer tasting @ Circo Massimo
Visit to Open Baladin, with 40+ Italian beers on tap.
Dinner @ Sforno, good beer selection with 200 year old yeast pizza!
Beer night @ Sir Daniel, presenting 5 (or more) special italian/international brews released especially for the event.

Sunday:
Visit to Revelation Cat brewery with a bus with a vintage beer tasting.
Visit to BOA brewery at the seaside with their beer presentation.
Closing night @ brasserie 420 with italian and international brewers, special releases and food pairing

Monday:
Free day and bye-bye.
Who want’s to stay more is welcome!!!

Rome is full of great beer places, great beers, great food and passionate ppl for beer. I’ve been speaking to my c

bierkoning
beers 20255 º places 431 º 06:28 Wed 11/25/2009

An grand tasting would be nice, but checking the programme the only chance would be friday. The programme on friday could be:

morning: visit to the beer shops mentioned
noon: grand tasting
end of the afternoon/evening: Italian beer tasting beer & fud
last beer @ football pub

but it is just a thought...

cgarvieuk
beers 37688 º places 457 º 07:12 Wed 11/25/2009

personally Id really like early summer holiday time(scotland), as we do GBBF at end of the summer holiday.

and im not likly to make it unless we can do it as a family. Ive been real lucky last few year getting to beer events.

So im personally doing Italy(and almost certainly rome this year, RBESG if i can make it fit or some other time otherwise)

cgarvieuk
beers 37688 º places 457 º 07:26 Wed 11/25/2009

Originally posted by bierkoning
An grand tasting would be nice, but checking the programme the only chance would be friday. The programme on friday could be:

last beer @ football pub

I always love a grand tasting, but they always seem to eat time. maybe we want to try and just dump the ticks, and have a GRAND tasting, where we only bring 1 bottle each unless we have a few specials we would like to share and maybe the List could be more used. SO that prior to a grand tasting we draw up a list of the 50 bottle people would want there.

ticking dross can be good fun with friends , but if were strugling for time, a smaller tasting with only Quality beers that some people might not see outside of a tasting like this. would be a shame to lose.

KimJohansen
beers 10557 º places 13 º 07:33 Wed 11/25/2009

I’d rather skip a brewery visit or two and have large Grand Tasting.

thewolf
beers 13752 º places 145 º 07:39 Wed 11/25/2009

Originally posted by cgarvieuk

last beer @ football pub

I always love a grand tasting, but they always seem to eat time. maybe we want to try and just dump the ticks, and have a GRAND tasting, where we only bring 1 bottle each unless we have a few specials we would like to share and maybe the List could be more used. SO that prior to a grand tasting we draw up a list of the 50 bottle people would want there.

ticking dross can be good fun with friends , but if were strugling for time, a smaller tasting with only Quality beers that some people might not see outside of a tasting like this. would be a shame to lose.

+1 Quality over quantity

bierkoning
beers 20255 º places 431 º 07:54 Wed 11/25/2009

Originally posted by thewolf

last beer @ football pub

+1 Quality over quantity

+2

Borresteijn
beers 11305 º places 404 º 09:07 Wed 11/25/2009

Originally posted by thewolf

last beer @ football pub

+1 Quality over quantity

+2

+3 I’ve been to 1 grand tasting so far and it hurt my eyes to see how much good beer went down the drain in the end . And a little more time for each beer wouldn’t hurt.

DonMagi
beers 5592 º places 50 º 09:23 Wed 11/25/2009

A grand tasting is key, its one of the only times when everone is together as a group and not into small groups as with what always happens. Also it gives us time to thanks people and whatnot.

Remember also even if we do have a big grand tasting with 100’s of beers you dont have to rate them all, you can take it easy!

Papsoe
beers 25039 º places 4 º 09:53 Wed 11/25/2009

Mes,
thanks for the new thread.

My "Should we cancel..." thread was only meant to provoke a reaction - I’m glad to see that it succeeded

My proposal for a Danish RBESG ’10 was meant as sort of a "last resort" - if nothing else came through. But Alex did for Rome and it’s great.

-An absolute first is to set the dates. It’s good to listen to peoples wants and wishes but also to make the final call yourself. You cannot please everyone, and a lot of people may only be active in the thread but eventually end up not going. Even I don’t know yet until the dates are carved in stone. So Alex: dates please!

-A grand tasting is essential. It’s not a proper summer gathering without one. It’s a major way to socialize and share the wealth of beers and the generosity of ratebeerians.
Sometimes a proper venue for the tasting is an issue, but since Alex has his own bar I guess it’s not this time

-Comunication is ESSENTIAL for the success of a summer gathering. If people are uncertain if this is actually gonna happen they will make other plans. So Alex stay online and feed us the news please (I have checked your posting privileges and they seem fine, so if you still have a problem posting please make a new account and use that).

-Logistics are equally essential. Places and timeplans must fit. Rather fewer places to go that fit together than many places that are unrealistic to reach and end up stressing the crowd.

A well meant piece of advice for Alex would be to get in touch with some of the recent years organizers: Tom (Magicdave6), Fil(motelpogo), Dave(evilempire) and draw from their experiences.

Alex’ proposal looks amazing - I really hope this is gona happen

Best of luck.

DonMagi
beers 5592 º places 50 º 06:02 Fri 11/27/2009

I reccomend june for the event as from speaking to people it would be unbareably hot in the following months and we wouldnt be able to do things during the day. Alex your thoughts on this?

I reinforce what henrik has said, COMMUNICATION is thee most import thing about these events. If its going to be successful we must constantly have updates on whats happening and when so we can organise yourselfs.

Grand tasting is key!