Around Town: 3rd Quarter 2013

Reads 5348 • Replies 77 • Started Friday, July 19, 2013 6:34:18 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 09:02 Tue 9/24/2013

Ha. I didn’t even notice how ridiculous that was when I copy/pasted it over..

Mcc1654
12:30 Tue 9/24/2013

Originally posted by drewbeerme
Anyone know if this is true or a typo?
Haymarket Humulus Lingus IPA:
A big, malty IPA brewed with 20 pounds per barrel of freshly picked wet hops from Hophead Farms in Michigan. Jam packed with Cascade hop flavor and a delicate, jammy, and fruity nose without the bitterness.

This is exactly how it is listed on the Haymarket website as well. There’s no way there’s 20lbs per barrel, maybe they meant 2lbs or 20lbs in the whole batch (as he normally lists his hops rates). This doesn’t even account for if any other hops were used. I’m mainly curious because if there actually is 20lbs/barrel then I might finally drag my ass over there to try such a hop mess.

It could be. As a rule of thumb when brewing with wet hops you use about 5x the weight of dried hops. So that would equate to 4lbs per barrel. They say they dry hop their Bad MF’er Black Rye I.P.A. with 2lbs per barrel so 4lbs per barrel for the batch sounds reasonable.

drewbeerme
beers 3921 º places 1 º 13:06 Tue 9/24/2013

Originally posted by Mcc1654
A big, malty IPA brewed with 20 pounds per barrel of freshly picked wet hops from Hophead Farms in Michigan. Jam packed with Cascade hop flavor and a delicate, jammy, and fruity nose without the bitterness.

This is exactly how it is listed on the Haymarket website as well. There’s no way there’s 20lbs per barrel, maybe they meant 2lbs or 20lbs in the whole batch (as he normally lists his hops rates). This doesn’t even account for if any other hops were used. I’m mainly curious because if there actually is 20lbs/barrel then I might finally drag my ass over there to try such a hop mess.

It could be. As a rule of thumb when brewing with wet hops you use about 5x the weight of dried hops. So that would equate to 4lbs per barrel. They say they dry hop their Bad MF’er Black Rye I.P.A. with 2lbs per barrel so 4lbs per barrel for the batch sounds reasonable.

Yeah I was thinking about the weight difference later. I wonder if absorbtion loss is much worse then.

17thfloor
beers 2444 º places 19 º 13:20 Tue 9/24/2013

absolutely true, was there right after, you hop at 5x the normal rate with whole leaf wet hops

DROOO
10:54 Thu 9/26/2013

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 12:00 Thu 9/26/2013

Originally posted by DROOO
Originally posted by beastiefan2k
some cool new beers I spotted at Binny’s
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cisco-island-reserve-gose/225637/
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/hinterland-berliner-weiss/228836/
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/choc--prairie-artisan-ales-collaboration-wild-brew-2013-spelt-saison/215532/

which binny’s did you see the cisco gose at?

Clybourn

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 17:46 Thu 9/26/2013