Bamberg, tips and IP trades

Reads 1838 • Replies 18 • Started Friday, April 3, 2015 6:11:32 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

olsvammel
beers 8493 º places 177 º 15:27 Sat 4/4/2015

Originally posted by jorge76
I think you’ll have a lot of thing to do and beer to drink so I’ll give you just 1 tip .. Brauerei zehendner in monchsanbach for their lager bier from the wood barrel .. Enjoy your stay in the " holy land of beer "

Will put it on my "to do list". Thanks :)

olsvammel
beers 8493 º places 177 º 15:29 Sat 4/4/2015

Originally posted by Erlangernick
And to the OP...I would genuinely love to try the famous (?) low-alcohol Pilsner Urquell that you Swedes have. I could trade you homebrewed half-IPA for it. Or regular Pilsner Urquell.

That shouldn’t be a problem and I prefer to trade to a homebrew :). Think my local store has the 3,5% PU. Can bring some down with me. Any other beers you are interested in? You can send me a mail on stefan@beerdrivel.se if you want to work out the details.

olsvammel
beers 8493 º places 177 º 15:30 Sat 4/4/2015

Originally posted by JoeinDahlem
Forgot I wrote that thing. Mostly holds up.

You can usually find a Gänstaller beer from the barrel at Stöhrenkeller. You can stop on the walk down the hill, after visiting Spezial Keller. And Wilde Rose Keller. Etc.

Thanks for the tip! :)

jorge76
beers 24 º places 452 º 04:59 Sun 4/5/2015

Originally posted by Erlangernick
Originally posted by jorge76
I think you’ll have a lot of thing to do and beer to drink so I’ll give you just 1 tip .. Brauerei zehendner in monchsanbach for their lager bier from the wood barrel .. Enjoy your stay in the " holy land of beer "

Just a small nitpick: I don’t think they serve from wooden barrels, but from the "normal" gravity "Bauchfass" that has a plastic outer surface that looks like imitation wood.

Yes Nick what you said is absolutely correct ! I obviosly noticed that but when I was writing I wanted just to let to him know the way they serve the beer ..that’s it .. Their lager bier still remain one of the top in the area ..

olsvammel
beers 8493 º places 177 º 07:07 Sat 7/18/2015

Thanks for all the great help guys. I came back from Bamberg two weeks ago and we had a great time. I’ve uploaded some pics to www.beerdrivel.se if anybody wants to see. I have one last post that I will publish tomorrow.

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 08:54 Sat 7/18/2015

Originally posted by olsvammel
Thanks for all the great help guys. I came back from Bamberg two weeks ago and we had a great time. I’ve uploaded some pics to www.beerdrivel.se if anybody wants to see. I have one last post that I will publish tomorrow.

Love a good follow-up to a Topic Thread.

Envy your Weyermann and bike tour...will have to put that on my autumn agenda.

Skål!

olsvammel
beers 8493 º places 177 º 14:29 Wed 7/22/2015

Nice that you enjoyed it. I should probably give a short summary here as well.

We stayed at Fässla brewery. They had very big rooms but unfortunately no AC and windows out towards the very busy street. Since it was very hot at the time of our visit we had to have open windows to sleep. So we woke up early every morning. No problem though as the pubs open early :) But something to think about if you are looking for accomodation.

My favourite breweries where Spezial, Mahrs and Schlenkerla. Fässla was the only dissapointment. We also had some very poor beers from St Georgen. Besides that we had some great beers. Hummel was my favourite outside of Bamberg.

Best pub was definitely Café Abseits. I think we could have stayed there for a whole day. We also enjoyed Weinstubbe Pizzini but it’s not in the same league as Abseits. We made a short stop at Zapfhahn during the U21 final game break (Sweden won the gold). Should have probably gone back there for more beers, it looked promising.

I loved the bottle shops at both Weyermann and Bierothek. Bought some very nice beers that I brought back home. Both of them even had some foreign stuff. I was mostly interested in German beers though. I was hoping to find more berliner weisse and gose but guess I was in the wrong area.

Best beer we had was the Dunkel at Kreuzberg Kloster on our way home. We actually ordered an extra glass of that one. I bought a bottle which I will share at a dinner party this saturday.

We all loved the food. Specially sauerkraut and sausages. I think I had at least one serving every day. My favourites where Mahrs and Hummel.

I must say that both the beer and the food was very affordable. At least compared to Sweden ;)

All in all we had a great time. I’m actually thinking about making a trip in october (not this year) to try the bock beers.

bartlebier
beers 4526 º places 177 º 15:31 Wed 7/22/2015

Very fair assessment - agree with mostly all of that.

(Personally already deciphered most of that from your Swedish blog, - but then again jeg også oversætter fra dansk).

We usually stay at Fässla as well, mostly in winter in our way through the Bundesrepublik. It is a great point of departure, affordable and within walking distance of the historical town, but especially close to the prime beers and food over at Spezial (who also have rooms but are mostly booked out), - Fässla’s beers really are not in the same league as either Schlenkerla or Spezial.
We mostly walk over to Mahr’s and Keesmann, - world class U and Pils, respectively!

Looking forward to explore Zapfhahn’s regional Kellers on draught and see if their burgers are any good...maybe coming autumn.

Might run into you there the next year then!
(P.S. Always up for Belgian-Swedish-German trades).