BC beer and those wonderful plastic labels!

Reads 495 • Replies 10 • Started Friday, January 8, 2016 11:52:36 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

VertBaconStrips
beers 2445 º places 4 º 23:52 Fri 1/8/2016

I absolutely love the incredible art that is pasted all over so many BC beers that I’ve access to. Nelson even pumped one out. Nothing can beat the Fat Tug label for amazing style and colour and I really dug the Category 12 Disruption concept. These new labels have seemed to open up a new level of presentation and really stand out against other bottles in the local coolers. Even the simple concepts like Persephone look more appealing.

Where did this all start and why the change into this material? Which breweries have stepped up? I always assumed it was fairly expensive without any knowledge of the topic. It’s a great touch for these breweries that are slaying the tasty beer niche on the West Coast up here in the frozen North.

Crit
beers 5022 º places 159 º 11:53 Sat 1/9/2016

Not to mention, how well one can peel them off, and stick on the beer fridge !!

Oakes
admin
beers 30719 º places 1135 º 15:20 Sat 1/9/2016

Funny, I actually dislike the new Driftwood labels rather strongly. I find them cluttered and with fonts that are impossible to read. Plus, there’s no coherent brand identity to them. Fat Tug has a great brand in Vancouver, but if I can’t read the label to know that it’s Fat Tug, then the brand is meaningless. Conceptually, they’re a mess and don’t align with the type of beer in any meaningful way. I scroll past Driftwood beers entirely on the shelf now.

paco
beers 576 º places 31 º 16:44 Sat 1/9/2016

I like the creativity of the labels but I agree sometimes the wording is tough to read when you are looking at a shelf or cooler of beer.

VertBaconStrips
beers 2445 º places 4 º 00:18 Sun 1/10/2016

you don’t bother with Driftwood now because of the labels? That’s pretty weak. Then again, with so much variety I guess it doesn’t really matter. You already know a Fat Tug so what’s the issue? I don’t buy beers based on labels but I certainly don’t avoid them because of the labels especially if I know what’s in the bottle. There is no question that I have stopped buying entire breweries based on poor interactions with reps but I can get away with that because our selection is so excellent.

Yup, these labels all get peeled off and put somewhere. Anyone know what caused the trend?

VertBaconStrips
beers 2445 º places 4 º 00:21 Sun 1/10/2016

paco - good to see you kicking around again.

CapFlu
beers 5136 º places 238 º 00:39 Sun 1/10/2016

I was fooled into buying another Blackstone Porter because of the new label.... And I definitely didn’t regret it. I really like this beer. But I hated the old BOOT label.

VertBaconStrips
beers 2445 º places 4 º 00:59 Sun 1/10/2016

I don’t recall the old labels as it was a long time ago that I was bringing them back in my luggage. It’s a damn solid beer but that label is basically impossible to peel off in one piece.

Oakes
admin
beers 30719 º places 1135 º 13:04 Sun 1/10/2016

Originally posted by VertBaconStrips
you don’t bother with Driftwood now because of the labels? That’s pretty weak. Then again, with so much variety I guess it doesn’t really matter. You already know a Fat Tug so what’s the issue? I don’t buy beers based on labels but I certainly don’t avoid them because of the labels especially if I know what’s in the bottle. There is no question that I have stopped buying entire breweries based on poor interactions with reps but I can get away with that because our selection is so excellent.

Yup, these labels all get peeled off and put somewhere. Anyone know what caused the trend?

If I’m scanning the shelf looking for something to buy, and I see a bunch of messy, unintelligible labels, I’m not going to pick up each bottle and study it to figure out what’s there. I have many shelves/fridges full of other tasty beer I can buy. For example, I can spot a white Persephone label from across the room and make my decision before I even get to the shelf.

Fat Tug still gets some draught business from me - their distribution ensures that.

paco
beers 576 º places 31 º 16:16 Sun 1/10/2016

paco - good to see you kicking around again.

Good to be here

paco
beers 576 º places 31 º 16:18 Sun 1/10/2016

Originally posted by Oakes

If I’m scanning the shelf looking for something to buy, and I see a bunch of messy, unintelligible labels, I’m not going to pick up each bottle and study it to figure out what’s there. I have many shelves/fridges full of other tasty beer I can buy. For example, I can spot a white Persephone label from across the room and make my decision before I even get to the shelf.

Fat Tug still gets some draught business from me - their distribution ensures that.

To each their own but if everything was plain and clearly visible life would be pretty boring.