Beer Snobs "forget the true meaning of beer"

Reads 16069 • Replies 125 • Started Thursday, January 18, 2007 2:25:26 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

sfontain
beers 851 º places 5 º 15:06 Thu 1/18/2007

Originally posted by cheapdark
Or $6 for a cup of regular coffee instead of a Starbucks?

You imply that Starbucks isn’t regular coffee.

sfontain
beers 851 º places 5 º 15:06 Thu 1/18/2007

E-mail sent. Muehehe

Probiere
beers 992 º places 46 º 15:09 Thu 1/18/2007

Originally posted by sfontain

OldGrowth
beers 3472 º places 204 º 15:11 Thu 1/18/2007

Originally posted by PorterPounder
You got to admit that this line is funny though...

"To be fair, these places are usually dense with bearded guys in tattered wool sweaters who can rattle off the complex brewing methods of odd brands the way Star Trek enthusiasts can speak fluent Klingon."

Coming soon the Rate Beer wool sweater.

DerWeg
beers 2175 º places 48 º 15:16 Thu 1/18/2007

Originally posted by undsioux7
This part of the article is pretty funny to me, especially after reading the saison article on this site. Can you imagine replacing the saison the field workers in Belgium used to get after a hard days work with BMC! I would have paid money to see their reaction after they took a drink of miller light.

My thoughts exactly.

Look at the Trappists, big Stouts, Doppelbocks, Pales and Barley Wines that so-called ’snobs’ have placed in the hundredth percentile here.

These types of beer did not originate from Planet Klingon, nor are they some pretentious invention for the elite. They are just very old cultural beer styles rooted in the peoples of Western Europe.

cheap
beers 8841 º places 328 º 15:18 Thu 1/18/2007

Originally posted by Probiere
Originally posted by sfontain

Miller Lite = Regular Coffee

Good Suds (IPA/impstout) = Starbucks

smitty
beers 1 º 15:20 Thu 1/18/2007

"Is it just me, or has somebody forgotten that beer is supposed to be a workingman’s drink, as free from pretensions and airs as a kielbasa smothered in sauerkraut?"

No Mike, nobody’s forgotten. However, the beer you’re seeking to wash kielbasa & kraut down your gullet exists and should cost you no more than $2 at any pub. It’s called High Life. And though it would be quite at home in the finest styrofoam cup your humble abode has to offer, I recommend it ice cold from the bottle.

If and when you discover this fine brew being offered for $5-10 at a local pub, then you’ve reason to rant. Until then, grab a styrofoam cup and pour yourself a nice cool glass of Shut the Fuck Up!

Ernest
beers 9435 º places 229 º 15:21 Thu 1/18/2007

"To be fair, these places are usually dense with bearded guys in tattered wool sweaters who can rattle off the complex brewing methods of odd brands the way Star Trek enthusiasts can speak fluent Klingon."

The guy certainly does like to use cute little analogies/similes...there’s one in virtually every single paragraph: Frommer’s travel guide to pronounce, faster than a gallon of unleaded, the way Star Trek guys speak Klingon, as closely guarded as the holy grail, back story that would make a great Bloom/Depp film, and as a kielbasa in sauerkraut. I wonder if he has a simile quota he has to meet.

cheap
beers 8841 º places 328 º 15:21 Thu 1/18/2007

Originally posted by DerWeg
Originally posted by undsioux7
This part of the article is pretty funny to me, especially after reading the saison article on this site. Can you imagine replacing the saison the field workers in Belgium used to get after a hard days work with BMC! I would have paid money to see their reaction after they took a drink of miller light.

My thoughts exactly.

Look at the Trappists, big Stouts, Doppelbocks, Pales and Barley Wines that so-called ’snobs’ have placed in the hundredth percentile here.

These types of beer did not originate from Planet Klingon, nor are they some pretentious invention for the elite. They are just very old cultural beer styles rooted in the peoples of Western Europe.

I bet planet Klingon would have some great IPA or foreign stouts!

bigcat03
beers 746 º places 11 º 15:30 Thu 1/18/2007

Originally posted by OldGrowth

Coming soon the Rate Beer wool sweater.

Complete with tatters and extra padding to give you that "dense" look. FREE fake beard with purchase!!!