Beer Snobs "forget the true meaning of beer"

Reads 16109 • Replies 125 • Started Thursday, January 18, 2007 2:25:26 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

FooFaa
beers 1 º places 29 º 08:54 Fri 1/19/2007

Originally posted by Indra
So what is the true meaning of beer, anyway? I didn’t see that spelled out anywhere in the piece. Just complaints about what other people will pay for beer.

It is what you make of it. If beer is the "working man’s drink" to the author than who is to say he is wrong?

cheap
beers 8867 º places 328 º 10:27 Fri 1/19/2007

Originally posted by nolankowal
the Tribune Review is a shitty paper to begin with and holds a definite political slant.

And the Post Gazette is just as crappy and it slants exactly the opposite direction!

Besides, most of the people that read the paper are just regular old beer drinkers, not connoisseurs. That’s who his target audience is.

Nate
beers 4279 º places 330 º 10:36 Fri 1/19/2007

Mike Seate posts some our of responses:
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/blogs/hotseate/
"Too Much Free Time On Their Hands Dept."

tbookman
beers 618 º 11:12 Fri 1/19/2007

Originally posted by Nate

Oh man, that’s priceless! Joe is famous!!

TheBeerSommelier
11:32 Fri 1/19/2007

Originally posted by Nate

What a douche. I thought he’d actually have a little class about the whole thing.

I hope he and his 6 readers have fun in their fat, lonely, little, cold cyber-world.

Sigmund
beers 13352 º places 447 º 11:37 Fri 1/19/2007

Great! Of course this Seate guy had to pull out the "Too Much Free Time On Their Hands"- argument. Always useful when people disagree with you ...
If he thinks it’s amazing that anyone "finds enough free time to worry about the well being of beer or ANY OTHER inanimate object", why did HE write about an "inanimate object" like beer in the first place? Oh yeah, that’s true: he did not write it in his FREE time - he got PAID to do it!
Hey Joe, Paul and Nate: you got your WELL WRITTEN responses to Seate’s crappy journalism published on his blog: You should get paid too! Send him an invoice - don’t be greedy, $ 1000 each should do nicely. Remember, it’s meaningless if you do it for free!

Brigadier
beers 4930 º places 334 º 11:45 Fri 1/19/2007

Meh. This guy is just a paid newspaper troll like the sports writer for the Chicago Tribune who a few years ago proclaimed Lance Armstrong was nothing special. According to him anybody (Barry Bonds, Michael Jordan, etc) could "ride a bike across France". I’m sure the papers are happy for the ad revenue they get.

bstill
beers 1 º 11:51 Fri 1/19/2007

yes I work and I drink beer

GG
beers 2332 º places 15 º 11:56 Fri 1/19/2007

Whadda friggin’ buffoon. "Someone please explain to me where anyone in this day and age finds enough free time to worry about the well being of beer or any other inanimate object." Does this guy not have a hobby?? Did he just slap the face of all the photographers, writers, painters and musicians (and all the other hobbyists in this world) smack dab in the face or what? What a classless prick. I guess we should all just unplug ourselves from the wall and go into shutdown mode when we are done with work.

beerinator
places 4 º 12:03 Fri 1/19/2007

Originally posted by Brigadier
Meh. This guy is just a paid newspaper troll ...snip...

He knew what he was doing. He threw the bait out there and waited for the emails to roll in. He probably was laughing over and over while his email client kept dinging.