Best beers of GCBF...

Reads 338 • Replies 2 • Started Thursday, September 15, 2016 6:12:06 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CapFlu
beers 5136 º places 238 º 18:12 Thu 9/15/2016

So... I should have attended this year’s Great Canadian Beer Festival. Especially since I’m working on a rather large spring of 2017 technology event in Vancouver and the craft brewing industry is a great tie-in since technology employees are largely adventuresome, well-informed and community-oriented.

As with last year, I will be ordering craft beers from each of British Columbia’s regions - hopefully the best of what I can find. The biggest hindrance may be that the beer may need to be either bottled or cans... with still a small possibility of getting some kegs (but I need to work that front somewhat).

For my previous event in January 2016, we drew in 3,500 participants and served the following beers:

DAY ONE:
Light: Moon Under Water Potts Pils (Vancouver Island & Coast)
Hoppy: Howe Sound Sky Pilot (Lower Mainland)
Dark: Barkerville 52’ Stout (North)

DAY TWO:
Light: Persephone Gibsons B Pilsner (Vancouver Island & Coast)
Hoppy: Bad Tattoo West Coast IPA (Interior)
Dark: Parallel 49 Ugly Sweater Milk Stout (Lower Mainland)

Unfortunately the venue BADLY under-purchased the craft beer and we sold out of these beers each night within 20 minutes. (I will make adjustments for next year)...

Knowing this criteria of(a) regional beers covering and (b) the very basic spectrum of light, dark and hoppy - what BC beers would you suggest?

I was thinking:

DAY ONE:
Light: Twa Dogs Twa Dogs The Keekin’ Glass Pilsner (Vancouver Island & Coast)
Hoppy: Trading Post Dear James SMASH Saison (Lower Mainland)
Dark: Three Ranges Swamp Donkey Brown Ale (North)

DAY TWO:
Light: Wheelhouse Smoked Kolsch (North - if allowed a keg)...
Hoppy: Driftwood Fat Tug IPA (Vancouver Island & Coast)
Dark: Field House Salted Black Porter (Lower Mainland)

I’m also thinking of... Four Winds Operis Saison Brett of Delta; and (keg) Gladstone in Courtney.

Thoughts?

Any recommendations for the BC Interior?

Thanks, CAPFLU

Oakes
admin
beers 30677 º places 1135 º 22:15 Thu 9/15/2016

That Trading Post is a regular beer with reliable supply? I guess ditto on the Field House. I’d also recommend to go straight hoppy on the first day, like Four Winds IPA or something. Or something from Port Moody - Yellow Dog and Parkside can deliver something hoppy and reliable.

Two north is overrepresenting. Maybe drop the Three Ranges for something less dodgy, but stick with Wheelhouse if you can. Lots of good dark stuff - maybe look to the Interior for something like Back Hand of God or the Cannery Blackberry Porter on Day One.

CapFlu
beers 5136 º places 238 º 08:39 Fri 9/16/2016

I’m looking to contact the breweries 7 months out so I hope I can secure a supply.

Both Crannog and Cannery already pretty well represented in Vancouver - it would be nice to get something from a younger brewery needing a helping hand in accessing the Lower Mainland.

This being said, it may be good to swap Yellow Dog or Parkside in for Driftwood that is well represented.