Best techniques for LOTS of banana?

Reads 4125 • Replies 18 • Started Tuesday, October 9, 2012 9:51:35 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

erway
beers 1004 º places 41 º 06:08 Wed 10/10/2012

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
There’s also the possibility that a ferulic acid rest will result in increased banana esters as well.

Through what pathway? Ferulic acid is the precursor to 4VG, not isoamyl acetate.

To increase any esters for any yeast strain there are some sure fire ways of doing it, and some are safer than others. Let me remind you that yeast stress is the number one cause of ester formation and 90% of ester formation will occur during the lag phase.
1) Ferment above or below the recommended range of the yeast strain.
2) Oxygenate less or more than recommended.
3) Underpitch.
4) Decrease FAN in your wort through the use of adjuncts.
5) Increase the presence of Zinc in your wort, remembering that Zinc can be toxic to yeast.

That being said, if I wanted to make a weissbier with a lot of isoamyl acetate, I would use the 3068, pitch 8*10^6 cells/ml, oxygenate normally and ferment at 72 degrees. That would certainly give you plenty of banana.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 07:43 Wed 10/10/2012

My bad, I had the two products backwards. I think largely because I don’t much care for a lot of banana in my hefe...

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 07:44 Wed 10/10/2012

Originally posted by SamGamgee
It’s kind of a crazy mash, but I think by adding some dextrose to your boil, you can essentially get the same results, just not in a reinheitsgebot-friendly way.

Hefeweizen is outside of the reinheitsgebot (but protected) I believe...

seymour
beers 2594 º places 50 º 12:32 Wed 10/10/2012

Germans make great beer but German purity laws taken to the extreme have done tremendous harm throughout history.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 20:07 Wed 10/10/2012

According to the folks who produce the yeast:

YEAST STRAIN: 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen™

The classic and most popular German wheat beer strain used worldwide. This yeast strain produces a beautiful and delicate balance of banana esters and clove phenolics. The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Decreasing the ester level will allow a higher clove character to be perceived. Sulfur is commonly produced, but will dissipate with conditioning. This strain is very powdery and will remain in suspension for an extended amount of time following attenuation. This is true top cropping yeast and requires fermenter headspace of 33%.

Flocculation: low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 64-75° F (18-24° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

JoeMcPhee
beers 12092 º places 543 º 03:02 Thu 10/11/2012

It’s kind of a crazy mash, but I think by adding some dextrose to your boil, you can essentially get the same results, just not in a reinheitsgebot-friendly way.

I don’t think so - what makes you say that?

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 07:25 Thu 10/11/2012

Originally posted by JoeMcPhee

javascript:email();

The original point was that wheat wasn’t supposed to be used for brewing and to alleviate competition with bakers for the wheat.

"Wheat beers were originally forbidden by the Reinheitsgebot (German beer purity law), that forbade the inclusion of anything but barley, hops and water (spontaneous fermentation was used instead of yeast). Some say the law was originally intended to save wheat for the baking of bread. Roger Protz [1] states that the Bavarian royal family held a monopoly over barley production and wished to prevent the use of other grains in beer from undermining their monopoly. All the while, the royal Wittelsbach gangsters were still enjoying wheat beers denied to the general population. The laws were relaxed to allow the Schneider brewery to brew wheat beers in 1850. Schneider Weisse is still one of the better examples of the type, and somewhat darker than most.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 07:26 Thu 10/11/2012

Originally posted by JoeMcPhee

javascript:email();

The original point was that wheat wasn’t supposed to be used for brewing and to alleviate competition with bakers for the wheat.

"Wheat beers were originally forbidden by the Reinheitsgebot (German beer purity law), that forbade the inclusion of anything but barley, hops and water (spontaneous fermentation was used instead of yeast). Some say the law was originally intended to save wheat for the baking of bread. Roger Protz [1] states that the Bavarian royal family held a monopoly over barley production and wished to prevent the use of other grains in beer from undermining their monopoly. All the while, the royal Wittelsbach gangsters were still enjoying wheat beers denied to the general population. The laws were relaxed to allow the Schneider brewery to brew wheat beers in 1850. Schneider Weisse is still one of the better examples of the type, and somewhat darker than most.

Also, the reference to spontaneous fermentation = "magic spoon" theory.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer