"bucket of beer"

Reads 966 • Replies 12 • Started Sunday, December 18, 2005 1:49:30 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

allendodd
beers 118 º places 2 º 13:49 Sun 12/18/2005

Just wondering the origin of the phrase "Bucket of Beer." Does anyone know where it came from? As in "My bucket’s got a hole in it. I can’t get no beer." and "I went to the corner to get me a bucket of beer."

kp
beers 10877 º places 12 º 13:57 Sun 12/18/2005

Maybe dates back to before growlers when buckets were used as growlers?

Where did the term Trash Can of Beer originate?

Frank
beers 4562 º places 92 º 13:57 Sun 12/18/2005

The original growlers that you would use to get draft beer to go were buckets.

allendodd
beers 118 º places 2 º 14:04 Sun 12/18/2005

Originally posted by Frank

I’d buy that. At the risk of sounding like an English major, why is a growler called a growler?

Sorry, I can’t help myself.

fly
beers 1490 º places 271 º 14:23 Sun 12/18/2005

My ex is quite a bit older than I and with parents that had her at a very late age - her mother’s parents ran a hotel in New York (turn of last century?) and her mother mentioned being sent to get buckets of beer for guests. Guess it was esentially like the original growler.

GregClow
beers 3402 º places 12 º 15:19 Sun 12/18/2005

Originally posted by allendodd
Originally posted by Frank

I’d buy that. At the risk of sounding like an English major, why is a growler called a growler?

The story I’ve heard was that the old covered pails that used to be used to bring home beer made a rumbling or growling sound as they were carried home due to the beer sloshing around and releasing CO2. So they became known as "growlers", and the name stuck even when the container changed.

Dickinsonbeer
beers 5073 º places 31 º 15:37 Sun 12/18/2005

Got this from Moderndrunkardmagazine.com

growler: The refillable glass jugs you’re allowed to walk out of microbreweries with were once metal buckets. In pre-Prohibition times it was common for fathers to dispatch their progeny to the saloon with a growler to collect beer, and it was probably named for the growling sound a metal bucket full of beer makes when pushed across a bar top. The once popular term rushing the growler meant a hurried beer run—beer in a bucket tends to lose its head rather quickly and dad probably preferred it didn’t.

http://moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/02_05/02-05_on_the_cuff.htm

Frank
beers 4562 º places 92 º 16:22 Sun 12/18/2005

Originally posted by allendodd

Well--in addition to what Dickinsonbeer said, I’ve also heard a similar explanation only it was the sound the beer made sloshing in the bucket. It’s one of those things nobody really knows for sure. I mean, why do we call anything anything? I suspect whateve the reason, the name stuck because it sounds real cool to call something that gets you drunk a growler.

allendodd
beers 118 º places 2 º 17:24 Sun 12/18/2005

Originally posted by Dickinsonbeer
Got this from Moderndrunkardmagazine.com

growler: The refillable glass jugs you’re allowed to walk out of microbreweries with were once metal buckets. In pre-Prohibition times it was common for fathers to dispatch their progeny to the saloon with a growler to collect beer, and it was probably named for the growling sound a metal bucket full of beer makes when pushed across a bar top. The once popular term rushing the growler meant a hurried beer run—beer in a bucket tends to lose its head rather quickly and dad probably preferred it didn’t.

http://moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/02_05/02-05_on_the_cuff.htm

I guess that that is good enough for me. Thanks for indulging my curiosity. Post more if you learn more. Thanks

jtxx
beers 149 º places 1 º 12:59 Mon 12/19/2005

Watching the Three Stooges with my kids the other day and there is a scene where they knock over a guy carrying a tin buckets of beer.

DerWeg
beers 2175 º places 48 º 13:02 Mon 12/19/2005

Coronita "bucket of beer"

The holiday set comes with six Coronita and a swill bucket to drink them from.

Nice!