Drain Pour Economics

Reads 3693 • Replies 61 • Started Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:57:43 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

I dump it!

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 13:38 Thu 8/2/2012

Replace what I did drink with tap water. Recap. Print out a crappy JCN label and stick it on. Throw it on eBay. Profit.

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 13:44 Thu 8/2/2012

Originally posted by Leighton
As far as economics go, you’re talking about ’sunk costs’ here. Personally, I’m a bit skeptical of sunk costs, but it’s interesting to read the other posts here that go right along with traditional economic theory. Personally, I have never left a movie before it ended or abandoned a book before finishing. With regards to food, I’m pretty particular about what gets put in front of me so, generally, if it gets on to my plate it’s been quite a deliberate decision and I’ll eat it. As far as beers go, it has to be absolutely undrinkable for me to not finish it. It’s probably a blend of stubborness and thriftiness that drives my decision-making when others would abide by sunk cost theory.

exactly the same for me!

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 13:46 Thu 8/2/2012

Always dump it. Nothing can talk me into drinking more of a beer that I dislike and don’t want to drink.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 13:50 Thu 8/2/2012

I dump it.

The only time I feel bad/awkward about dumping beers is at a brewery/brewpub when it’s not very crowded and it’s pretty obvious that you’ll be seen by the brewer or other bar staff. Usually in those cases I’m trying a bunch of beers in a sampler or something, so I’ll just say I don’t want to drink all of the beer because I’m trying so many and have to drive.

JStax
beers 10650 º places 821 º 14:53 Thu 8/2/2012

I dump it. If I’m at a bar/brewery and I’m really not liking something, I just leave what’s left in the glass, no matter how much. Usually these are samples, so its not that big of a deal. A lot of my beer drinking is done with friends, so if one of them likes the beer I don’t dump it. If there’s a concensus, though, there’s no hesitation to dump a bad beer.

cheap
beers 8850 º places 328 º 15:10 Thu 8/2/2012

drain pour, figment of the imagination

CharmCityCrab
beers 244 º 15:51 Thu 8/2/2012

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
So, you invest a good sum (what’s a good sum?) of money to buy a beer, and it turns out to be a drain pour.

Do you pour the beer out, regardless of cost, or do you finish it regardless, because of the investment?

Unless it makes me want to hurl, if I paid for it, I’m drinking it.

kryptic
16:09 Thu 8/2/2012

Originally posted by CharmCityCrab
So, you invest a good sum (what’s a good sum?) of money to buy a beer, and it turns out to be a drain pour.

Do you pour the beer out, regardless of cost, or do you finish it regardless, because of the investment?

I’m with you. (for the most part) Money is tight, and I am cheap.

There were only a handful of beers that I have drain poured. The only non-infected beers I have ever drain poured were ST Creme Brule and Bruery Black Tuesday. Sickly sweet, diabetic coma inducing shit is just not my style, I guess. Also GL Grassroots, but I am not sure if it was infected or just a horrible beer that smelled like rotten garbage and canned green beens. Some people claimed it was supposed to taste & smell like that...I dunno.

Leighton
beers 33717 º places 1204 º 16:09 Thu 8/2/2012

Originally posted by CharmCityCrab

Attaboy.