Driving from Calgary to Qualicum Beach.

Reads 465 • Replies 9 • Started Monday, December 28, 2015 1:18:20 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Hoser
beers 388 º places 178 º 13:18 Mon 12/28/2015

What are some of the best brewpubs and breweries with food to visit in the the interior of BC? Driving to Qualicum Beach from Calgary later this week.

fiulijn
beers 28379 º places 745 º 13:41 Mon 12/28/2015

Assuming you have to go through Vancouver.

Breweries don’t have real food, just snacks, sometimes a food truck outside, Parallel 49 has soup.
If I had to hit one only brewery in Vancouver that would probably be Parallel 49.

As per brewpubs, I’d skip Yaletown and Steamworks, beers are OK, food is usual pub grub.
Of the 4 local brewpubs, Steel Toad is the one with the better beers; people say food is good but pricey, I only got a pizza once and it was horrible.
Big Rock Urban has some decent beer as well, but I haven’t heard anything about food.

One place to check is Central City / Red Racer restaurant on Beatty: 40 taps of which 12 own; bottle prices are amazing; I haven’t been there but they have a build-your-burger menu that looks interesting if you are into that.

For beer and food, check also Alibi Room and St. Augustine’s.

I can’t think of any other place to mention in Greater Vancouver and in the valley from here to the Okanagan.

Hoser
beers 388 º places 178 º 14:00 Mon 12/28/2015

Thanks really wasn’t planning on spending much time in Vancouver, have an industry friends at Steel Toad and Big Rock will have to check them out. It would also be nice to see what Dix turned into under Central City’s direction.

Was more interested in places outside Vancouver. We will probably stop in and visit the crew at Crannog while driving by.

fiulijn
beers 28379 º places 745 º 20:44 Mon 12/28/2015

Are you into Ice Ciders?

CapFlu
beers 5136 º places 238 º 20:51 Mon 12/28/2015

As for the Island, Qualicum Beach is somewhat void of anything. Most decent places are North, South or West.

South: Longwood Brewpub in Nanaimo does a decent brunch and their beers are decent . Parksville has a couple of beer stores but they aren’t too exciting. I’ve added them to the db.

West: Coombs’ Old Country Market is worth your while. It’s not a beer destination but it has a remarkable cheese, spice, bbq sauce selection. Not to mention it’s an endless knick-knack shop of imports.

North: This will be your best bet for beering. White Whale Public House, Gladstone and Forbidden Brewing. If you’re looking for some steaks - they have The Butchers Block up the street from Gladstone that is great.

Happy travels.

Hoser
beers 388 º places 178 º 00:54 Tue 12/29/2015

Cool thanks guys!

CapFlu
beers 5136 º places 238 º 01:33 Tue 12/29/2015

It would also appear that the Noble Pig Brewhouse in Kamloops has fairly good reviews.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 09:12 Tue 12/29/2015

Originally posted by Hoser
What are some of the best brewpubs and breweries with food to visit in the the interior of BC? Driving to Qualicum Beach from Calgary later this week.

Getting back to your question, I have done a ton of research on this recently as I will be heading out that direction soon-ish. I assume you are taking HWY 1, correct? Long story short, not much of interest. If you have time to stop in Kelowna/Penticton there are a few potentially interesting places (BDA, Bad Tattoo, etc) that haven’t been rated. Between Calgary and Kelowna, there is basically nothing of interest (Banff brewpub would be a highlight, and I am not joking)

Some more interesting places if you drive south through Nelson, but that route wouldn’t make any sense if you are driving from Vancouver.

TimE
beers 8459 º places 409 º 01:02 Thu 12/31/2015

Oh, looks like there is a new brewery in Veron, called Mertens. Hoping to check it out in about four days. No beers have been rated so hard to know if it is decent or not

Oakes
admin
beers 30719 º places 1135 º 12:48 Thu 12/31/2015

Originally posted by Hoser
Thanks really wasn’t planning on spending much time in Vancouver, have an industry friends at Steel Toad and Big Rock will have to check them out.

My neighbourhood. Steel Toad has the better food of the two.