Europe trip - June 15th - 28th

Reads 2219 • Replies 21 • Started Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:18:02 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Leighton
beers 33748 º places 1204 º 17:00 Thu 5/25/2017

Is this itinerary final?

I would say you could definitely reduce your time in Brussels. Yes there are some great beer venues there, but you can take them all in in two days - one if you’re aggressive. Or are you planning to do some trips in Belgium outside of Brussels?

Nische
beers 4637 º places 121 º 17:29 Thu 5/25/2017

I don’t really have much feedback except for what’s been said already, but I’m most certainly in for some Akkurat sharing if/when you make it to Stockholm.

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 18:38 Thu 5/25/2017

Appreciate the concern with the tight schedule, but we are pros!

I’m used to one night stands with cities....while we won’t get into the underbelly of Prague/Copenhagen, I will be happy to get a taste.

Mind you all, the wife is with me....and will not be allowing me to spend the trip at the bottom of a glass. Ha!

We certainly plan on spending time outside of Brussels while in Belgium...and virtually all of Norway is on her accord, since thats where her ancestry is...and Midsummers Eve will be spent kayaking.

We have rented bikes for Prague and plan on working our way around town...appreciate the suggestions!

Copenhagen is open for that day...and are thinking about hitting some tourist traps before dinner/beers. Open to must-see stops. Desverger, shoot me a message...love to have a beer!

Stockholm will allow me one big beer day...and Akkurat has been on my radar for a long time. Nische, I would love for you to join us! (I’m hoping _angst_ Alex can join in too)

Sorry, fine folks in the UK, I hit you on my last trip...although, I love the region and hope to come back! Leighton - our meeting at Three Floyds was all too brief, would love to share beers sometime! Theydon- I have some Cloudwater headed my way next week....still, would love drink from the source at some point and share a beer as well!

Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming!

Cheers.
Brandon

Werckmeister
beers 6297 º places 263 º 01:47 Fri 5/26/2017

I have not biked in Prague, but I wouldnt consider it that bike friendly (but maybe it changed in recent years). I guess it depends where you want to bike around. In the historic center a lot of streets have cobble stones, and the most interesting streets are pedestrian only (as far as I saw). Also there are quite a few hills (like the one where the castle is located). Also bike infrastracture did not look that inviting (but again, maybe that changed recently). Public transport is quite good though, and gets your everywhere where you want to go very fast. Unless you are set on biking around, I think public transport would be the better alternative.

I would rather suggest you get a bike in Copenhagen, since the infrastructure and everything is amazing there..

gunnar
beers 14335 º places 1096 º 02:45 Fri 5/26/2017

Originally posted by Werckmeister
I have not biked in Prague, but I wouldnt consider it that bike friendly (but maybe it changed in recent years). I guess it depends where you want to bike around. In the historic center a lot of streets have cobble stones, and the most interesting streets are pedestrian only (as far as I saw). Also there are quite a few hills (like the one where the castle is located). Also bike infrastracture did not look that inviting (but again, maybe that changed recently). Public transport is quite good though, and gets your everywhere where you want to go very fast. Unless you are set on biking around, I think public transport would be the better alternative.

I would rather suggest you get a bike in Copenhagen, since the infrastructure and everything is amazing there..

100% agree with this.
110 CZK for a 24 hour transport pass; metro, trams and bus.
Take the # 22 tram all the way from city centre, get off above the castle area at Pohorelec, then its just a 5 min walk to Klášterní pivovar Strahov, from there you can visit one of the nicest old libraries in Europe, in Strahov Monastery. Get outside the monastery and enjoy one of the best views over Prague.Work your way downhill, I would consider U Cerného vola as a must on your way down to the river. +++

adamnowek
beers 7151 º places 117 º 06:13 Fri 5/26/2017

There’s definitely better cities to cycle in than Prague in your itinerary (to be honest, every single one except Brussels, which is especially nightmarish). Also consider that Prague is especially swarming with tourists in the summertime, making the streets quite crowded so you’ll spend an unnecessary amount of time dismounting and ringing your bell. Amsterdam and Copenhagen are the easiest and safiest cities to get around on two wheels of the places you’re visiting.

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 06:24 Thu 6/22/2017

We are crushing this itinerary!

Met up with Mike (bytemesis) in Brussels and killed some lambic! Nice to finally share some beers after many trades!

Great side trips to Anderlecht, Beersal and Bruges.

Prague was worth the day trip! E-bike tour made the 10 mile tour effortless! Great views of the city and the monestary had surprisingly good beer.

Copenhagen had waaay too many beers. Haha! Great stop at Koelschip for Bokkeryder. Great staff that chatted us up heavily. Himmeriget was pricey, but had a killer list!

Time for some nature across Norway!

Would love to meet up with folks at Akkurat on the 27th, if anybody is interested in sharing bottles.....shoot me a message!

Cheers!

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 15:09 Sun 6/25/2017

Norway has been great! Tons of great adventures in the fjords. Kayaking was sublime.

About to head out to Stockholm in the morning....figured I would give this one last bump to see if anyone else would like to join us at Akkurat on Tuesday the 27th?

I think one ratebeerian is joining us so far, but the more the merrier!

VsXsV
beers 5000 º places 92 º 15:19 Sun 6/25/2017

I’m in southern Sweden with work during the day on Tuesday, but if I make it back in reasonable time I’ll gladly have a few beers with you!

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 15:28 Sun 6/25/2017

Awesome, message sent!

Would be nice to share a beer, Viktor!