Fake Westvleteren?

Reads 21100 • Replies 65 • Started Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:36:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

RD400F
beers 235 º places 4 º 11:36 Tue 6/14/2011

Well, if you live in Vancouver BC and don’t know already, you can pick up "Westvleteren 12" and "8" at Brewery Creek and Firefly, albeit for astronomical prices.

The question is...are they the real deal?

I threw out $50 like a kid in a candy store yesterday on three bottles...two 12 and one 8, intending to try a 12 and an 8 and cellar the last 12. I whipped a 12 open, poured it into a trappist glass, etc., and wasn’t too impressed.

The reason I say that is because it reminded me of a Rochefort 8 a bit too much. In fact, it made me doubt whether or not it was real because the similarity was way too close for my liking. Not only that, but it seemed to me like it was missing something and it’s...boozy...even though many have mentioned magical transparency. Maybe I’m taking it too literally? If this is the real meal deal, then it’s definitely way over hyped. It’s very nice, but not spectacular.

Anyway, has anyone else here in Vancouver picked one up and tried it, only to come to the same conclusion? I lost sleep because of this.

CapFlu
beers 5136 º places 238 º 11:42 Tue 6/14/2011

We had a 24 show up yesterday at Cascadia Liquors in Victoria. The Westy12 are selling for $16 each; while the Westy8 was $15.

When I opened it and first sampled the Westy12 - "I don’t remember this tasting so much like Trois Pistoles".

I’d love to know if it isn’t authentic as I have another 5 bottles cellaring.

The caps are real. Anyone know if the bottles are the same ones used? And most importantly, the contents?

The last time I sampled a Westy12 was circa 2003 so I don’t have much memory to compare to...

JoeMcPhee
beers 12095 º places 543 º 11:44 Tue 6/14/2011

Who was the importer? That would be a huge coup to bring that in through legal channels. I’ve seen Westy in several different types of glass, so it’s hard to know what is authentic. Maybe post a picture and see if people can help you out.

RD400F
beers 235 º places 4 º 11:47 Tue 6/14/2011

Originally posted by CapFlu
We had a 24 show up yesterday at Cascadia Liquors in Victoria. The Westy12 are selling for $16 each; while the Westy8 was $15.

When I opened it and first sampled the Westy12 - "I don’t remember this tasting so much like Trois Pistoles".

The caps are real. Anyone know if the bottles are the same ones used? And most importantly, the contents?

The last time I sampled a Westy12 was circa 2003 so I don’t have much memory to compare to...
I thought I’d be crazy to mention the caps, but if you compare to those on the net...they don’t look real.

I’m aware there’s several revisions, but look at the colour...it’s more of a dull gold, not yellow like the real ones.

And, yeah, the bottles are identical to the Westmalle. Apparently Peacock and Martin were responsible for importing these after visiting the abbey, but now I wonder if they were really imported at all. How many people get to see the inside of that place? Not many...why were they allowed?

So many questions.

douglas88
admin
beers 13199 º places 398 º 11:47 Tue 6/14/2011

Those are low prices for the cost of bringing them in which would almost certainly be without the Brewery’s support.

phredrik
beers 1024 º places 31 º 11:53 Tue 6/14/2011

Originally posted by RD400F

I thought I’d be crazy to mention the caps, but if you compare to those on the net...they don’t look real.

I’m aware there’s several revisions, but look at the colour...it’s more of a dull gold, not yellow like the real ones.

And, yeah, the bottles are identical to the Westmalle. Apparently Peacock and Martin were responsible for importing these after visiting the abbey, but now I wonder if they were really imported at all. How many people get to see the inside of that place? Not many...why were they allowed?

So many questions.

I once had a genuine bottle that had Westmalle shape with "trappist" written around the collar. So that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s a fake.

CapFlu
beers 5136 º places 238 º 11:55 Tue 6/14/2011

So many questions.

I’ll post some photos when I get home.

Again, I’m working off memory so I may be gravely mistaken (re: caps et al) ... I’d hate to think that our Liquor Stores have been had - but I must admit my "wow-factor" wasn’t anything like I remember from 8-years ago.

RD400F
beers 235 º places 4 º 11:56 Tue 6/14/2011

Yeah, I’m aware the bottles are the same in some cases.

Looking closely at the caps seems to be backing this up...

CapFlu
beers 5136 º places 238 º 11:56 Tue 6/14/2011

These 33cl bottles have the "trappist" collar.

CapFlu
beers 5136 º places 238 º 12:00 Tue 6/14/2011

Yeah, I’m aware the bottles are the same in some cases.

Looking closely at the caps seems to be backing this up...

Post a pic of the bottle and cap.

It would be funny if the bottles have been re-used and we’re drinking someone’s kick-ass homebrew

JoeMcPhee
beers 12095 º places 543 º 12:00 Tue 6/14/2011

I’d hate to think that our Liquor Stores have been had - but I must admit my "wow-factor" wasn’t anything like I remember from 8-years ago.

You’ve probably just forgotten what "rare" tastes like.