Fruit beer question

Reads 1734 • Replies 16 • Started Saturday, January 12, 2013 8:28:17 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Quasimodo
beers 217 º 10:34 Tue 1/15/2013

You can gradually add it to the bottling bucket before adding priming sugar and sample it until you get the sweetness you want. It’s potent stuff. One little packet in a 12oz cup of coffee is fairly sweet and two packets is very sweet. I can’t give you a good answer on exactly how much to add.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3437 º places 209 º 16:12 Tue 1/15/2013

I’d taste Splenda mixed with something before adding it to your beer. It has an odd taste to it as well.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 19:50 Tue 1/15/2013

Originally posted by Quasimodo
You can gradually add it to the bottling bucket before adding priming sugar and sample it until you get the sweetness you want. It’s potent stuff. One little packet in a 12oz cup of coffee is fairly sweet and two packets is very sweet. I can’t give you a good answer on exactly how much to add.

I made a framboise clone for my wife. We started by adding a little bit of Splenda to a glass of the finished beer just to prove out the basic idea and to get a ballpark amount. I then added Splenda to the corny keg, incrementally, with tastes. I forget how much I added at a time.

bitbucket
beers 2166 º places 63 º 19:53 Tue 1/15/2013

Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
I’d taste Splenda mixed with something before adding it to your beer. It has an odd taste to it as well.

A little brett and lacto will fix this.

sylvia40
beers 6 º 15:53 Mon 1/21/2013

I bottled the framboise today, about 10 days after brewing. I have no idea what the ABV is, but the F.G. was 1.010. Started out at 1.061 before adding 6.5 lbs of raspberries, so maybe that kicked it up a percent or so. Final yield was just under 6 gallons. It tastes sour and tart, just the way I wanted it. Not too far off from the Cranberry Lambic Boston Brewing used to produce at Christmas time. It’s pinkish colored, and if I add sugar to the glass after pouring I can drink it sweet I I feel like a wine cooler. Splenda kinda scares me. I’m very pleased with this experiment in fruit beer brewing, and I want to thank the folks who offered their assistance. Cheers!

Quasimodo
beers 217 º 15:58 Mon 1/21/2013

If you said you wanted it sour and tart we could have skipped the Splenda talk.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer