Germany - brewers fear beer price war!

Reads 8150 • Replies 87 • Started Monday, April 22, 2013 2:56:30 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

“The German beer industry has to reinvent itself in a hurry, or it’s going to be a small fraction of what it is now,” said Eric Ottaway, the general manager of Brooklyn Brewery, which has been expanding in Europe and has been exporting its beer to Germany through Braufactum, which sells a 12-ounce bottle of Brooklyn Lager in upscale grocery stores for the equivalent of $4.20

Why a beerdrinker in Nürnberg should pay almost 4€ for a Brooklyn lager when he can get some of the best lagers in the area just for 0,80€?

And why should Germans start to copy american over hopped beers? When breweries like Augustiner and Weheinstephan started to produce their beers, here in Europe we still though Earth was flat... and when Wilhelm IV signed Reinheitsgebot, the people who founded Plymouth Colony were not born yet. "New" doesn’t mean "better" at all. If Germans are tied to their tradition there’s a reason why, isn’t it?

And by the way, who says German beers are boring or so, probably has never tried something different but Warsteiner and Bitburger. There’s plenty of new and good breweries, the fact that you cannot get their beers out of their Landkreis doesn’t mean they’re not worth.

In a country that has invented Mahr’s U, why should people be interested in pineapple, resin-tasting IPA???

Originally posted by Erlangernick
You *can* brew intersting beer only using malt, hops, yeast, and water though. Sheesh.

Some German brewers do manage this, even with traditional recipes, without trying to brew "craft" [sic] beer!

Genau!
The first who comes to me in mind are Giesinger Märzen, Forschungsbrauerei Pilsissimus, not to mention the "new" Scheneider Tap5, TapX and so and so. Or we can talk about the German IPA of Alewerkstatt, Camba Bavaria, Shoppe Bräu...

MannyGoldberg
beers 208 º places 31 º 06:00 Sun 5/5/2013

Brewdog are currently looking at locations to open a bar in Berlin.

pivnizub
beers 12929 º places 633 º 09:03 Sun 5/5/2013

"Franconian" beers can’t be listed as one style, that would be a complete nonsense… It is the diversity and the craftmanship that makes them so great. You can feel with every sip, that the brewers really love their products. Nevertheless You may find also bland or even bad beers in Franconia, but compared to all the other parts of Germany it is a paradise. Who needs crappy german industrial Lagers ( like Warsteiner, Veltins or Holsten)… Get Yourself a Mahrs U, a Spezial Rauchbier Märzen, a St. Georgen Kellerbier or a Witzgall Landbier and You’ll be happy!

graziano85
beers 769 º places 16 º 13:19 Sun 5/5/2013

Originally posted by Rauchbierlover
who says German beers are boring or so, probably has never tried something different but Warsteiner and Bitburger

Maybe I was not clear, but when I said boring I didn’t mean the beers themselves, but the fact that many of them are really similar each other, that’s a bit boring for me after a while, I like to change often
Probably you are right, and I’m not a super expert for sure, and my experience is only about what you can find in München, since I was there several times and I regularly go there 3/4 times every year.
I tried all the 6 Oktoberfest brands, then Ayinger, Wehienstephaner, Schneider, Gutmann, Andechs and some others, and every single style is similar for every brand, IMHO.
The same, for example, I cannot say for the belgians, which are very different each other, at least what I tried till now.

But this doesn’t mean that german beers are not good, I love weizen, in summer I drink a lot of them, Wehienstephaner is great, Ayinger too, and not only their weizen, their weizenbock is one of my favourite beers, their doppelbock is very complex and good, and also their hell I can feel is different than Paulaner (whose weizen I also like a lot), Hacker Pschorr, Augustiner (weizen is ok, but their hell too light and waterish for me), ecc...and Schneider is great, they are different also from the others, they have their own features, and they have great quality beers.
But, I still repeat it, if you take most of the helles you can find there, you cannot see big differencies, and weizen too (even if it’s slightly better than with helles).
But yes, I have to look for other german beers to say it better, as I said, my experience is only in München and surroundings

InvalidStout
13:58 Sun 5/5/2013

Originally posted by MannyGoldberg

Are there enough dickheads in Berlin for that?

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 02:00 Mon 5/6/2013

Originally posted by rauchbierlover
“The German beer industry has to reinvent itself in a hurry, or it’s going to be a small fraction of what it is now,” said Eric Ottaway, the general manager of Brooklyn Brewery, which has been expanding in Europe and has been exporting its beer to Germany through Braufactum, which sells a 12-ounce bottle of Brooklyn Lager in upscale grocery stores for the equivalent of $4.20

Why a beerdrinker in Nürnberg should pay almost 4€ for a Brooklyn lager when he can get some of the best lagers in the area just for 0,80€?

And why should Germans start to copy american over hopped beers? When breweries like Augustiner and Weheinstephan started to produce their beers, here in Europe we still though Earth was flat... and when Wilhelm IV signed Reinheitsgebot, the people who founded Plymouth Colony were not born yet. "New" doesn’t mean "better" at all. If Germans are tied to their tradition there’s a reason why, isn’t it?

And by the way, who says German beers are boring or so, probably has never tried something different but Warsteiner and Bitburger. There’s plenty of new and good breweries, the fact that you cannot get their beers out of their Landkreis doesn’t mean they’re not worth.

In a country that has invented Mahr’s U, why should people be interested in pineapple, resin-tasting IPA???

OTOH, one could ask, in a country that invented pineapple, resin-tasting IPA, why should people be interested in bland, astringent, uninteresting German beer like Mahr’s U? There’s so, so much better around -- even on the same bloody street in Bamberg!

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 02:03 Mon 5/6/2013

Originally posted by rauchbierlover
Originally posted by Erlangernick
You *can* brew intersting beer only using malt, hops, yeast, and water though. Sheesh.

Some German brewers do manage this, even with traditional recipes, without trying to brew "craft" [sic] beer!

Genau!
The first who comes to me in mind are Giesinger Märzen, Forschungsbrauerei Pilsissimus, not to mention the "new" Scheneider Tap5, TapX and so and so. Or we can talk about the German IPA of Alewerkstatt, Camba Bavaria, Shoppe Bräu...

Well, what do you want to say about those kinds of IPAs? I would say that some of them do a good job of emulating the resiny, over-sweet US IPA style (which I don’t really like), and some are just badly made. I would like to see my local brewers emulate Steel City (Sheffield), Hawkshead Windermere Pale Ale, Thornbridge White Swan, Buxton Moor Top, or any number of Mallinson’s beers, not the American stuff.

Or just make their own lagers more interesting, on average!

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 02:04 Mon 5/6/2013

Originally posted by InvalidStout
Originally posted by MannyGoldberg

Are there enough dickheads in Berlin for that?

Exzellent!

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 02:05 Mon 5/6/2013

Originally posted by McTapps
Originally posted by graziano85

For me too...their weizen is really good, and rather different than many others, and the dunkel doppelbock is also one of the best example of that style, and also bergbock hell is quite good respect many other helles, IMHO.

Absolutely. When I’m in the mood of drinking Bock, I buy Andechser because I know what I get (and what I like). All the "Franconian" beers (not even listed as a style of its own) are so similar and boring, I’m sick and tired of them....but that’s also just IMHO ;-)

Seriously? Or is the smiley the serious bit here?

...Off this afternoon to enjoy rich, interesting, WELL MADE Kellerbier in the Franconian countryside...