Gwynt y Ddraig Autumn Magic - unrateable?

Reads 2648 • Replies 34 • Started Sunday, September 3, 2017 9:28:57 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

LazyPyro
beers 8159 º places 63 º 13:40 Thu 9/28/2017

Agreed, would have done the same for those exact reasons. Seems they're growing in popularity too so absolutely expect someone will add them again next year.

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 13:44 Thu 9/28/2017

Originally posted by LazyPyro
Originally posted by chriso
Originally posted by The_Osprey
Just had a beer deleted notification for Cranes Cider. Take it they're synthetic then?

Sorry, never heard of Cranes Cider. So, not of my doing.

Something I can actually chime in on. Yeah they're not a cider (or even an RTD) and they admit this themselves without giving specific reasons why. They ran a fairly successful crowdfunding campaign last year and it was mentioned as part of their strategy talking about competitors. Direct quote from the campaign:

Cranes has a number of unique selling points. It is brewed purely from cranberries, it is high in juice, has reduced sugar and is lower in calories. Our main competitors are branded flavoured ciders such as Kopparberg, Rekorderlig and Old Mout Cider. Although we are not officially classed as a cider, or an RTD, we are offering people who drink these products a distinctive alternative choice. We believe we have more natural, better tasting and healthier product.

https://www.seedrs.com/cranes/sections/market - Note that they also write 'cider' in quotation marks in the subtitle. They don't go into too much detail about the brewing process but the fact they can't even officially class themselves as cider yet still use the name in marketing (though not on their bottles it seems) tells you all you need to know I think.

Thanks - that's very helpful! I think I added it because the website says "We brew the finest cranberries alongside apples" so I assumed that it would have been mostly apples with some cranberries thrown in. Evidently it's just some sort of cranberry derived alcopop.

Always assumed Kopparberg, Rekorderlig and Old Mout were made in some dodgy way but I'm still in the dark as to how. For example, the Kopparberg website says:

Kopparberg Cider comprises of a refreshing range of apple, pear and fruit ciders. These are made from the fermentation of apples or pears and the finest soft water, locally sourced in the town of Kopparberg, Sweden.

So I guess either they are lying or just fermenting a small quantity of what becomes the finished product?

LazyPyro
beers 8159 º places 63 º 13:51 Thu 9/28/2017

I quoted some stuff earlier in this thread somewhere about Kopparberg specifically. On both their UK and US websites the way they describe the cider is worded strangely and as chriso and others explained they don't seem to be making cider in the traditional way and don't explicitly claim to be doing so either, but I must admit I don't know too much about that subject at all.

Old Mout appear to be an exception though it sounds like they do in fact make cider properly and infuse with fruit after, similar to how Bulmers/Magners and the like over here supposedly do. Though I may be very wrong so feel free to correct me if so! At least in my unprofessional opinion I found Old Mout ciders generally tasted better and more apple-y than Kopparberg/Rekorderlig - that being said I will admit to really enjoying them in my younger days, a guilty pleasure (don't worry my tastes have improved greatly since then).

But yeah I imagine they do a small amount of fermentation so they can make such claims. Probably wouldn't be worth the legal issues to attempt to get away with lying about it?

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 04:15 Fri 9/29/2017

Originally posted by LazyPyro
On both their UK and US websites the way they describe the cider is worded strangely and as chriso and others explained they don't seem to be making cider in the traditional way and don't explicitly claim to be doing so either, but I must admit I don't know too much about that subject at all.

If I remember correctly there's some sort of lablling regulation in (some of?) the Scandinavian countries that specifies the proportion of actual apple-derived ingredients required for a product to be labeled as cider. That figure is very low indeed, I forget what it is exactly. I assume that apples/apple juice are relatively expensive in those countries, resulting in lower production costs for the more industrial producers by keeping the apple content as low as possible and deriving the alcohol from other sources. Presumably, they also see a commercial benefit in describing a product as cider when it has very little real apple content.

In the UK there are, as far as I'm aware, no specific labelling requirements. Even if there were, we don't really have any authority responsible for proactively enforcing them. In essence, Trading Standards may look into various breaches if they receive complaints. Or they may not, depending on their priorities and the resources they have available. There is a definition of cider in the HMRC regulations, including the proportion of apple required (also quite low), but that's just for tax purposes and, as far as I'm aware, doesn't read across into labelling requirements.

I've generally taken the view that, in the UK, even the big producers (such as Bulmers) are unlikely to be using alternative alcohol sources extensively as they have a big - albeit quite industrial - infrastructure devoted to producing/sourcing & fermenting apples/pears so it's doubtful whether there would be a cost advantage in deriving alcohol from other sources. Things may be different for those "producers" focussed on alcopops/RTDs but the number of problematic products is quite small because they generally don't seem to feel the need to present their products as "ciders".

As far as the "Scandinavian ciders" in the UK are concerned it may depend on whether they are imported or produced in the UK. In the latter case it seems that some are made differently (i.e. with proper apple ingredients) to those on sale in their home markets.

Of course, details of production methods are usually obscure so a degree of discretion by the local admins may be involved. Anyone who is looking for 100% clarity and worldwide consistency is likely to be disappointed.