Häffner Bräu Hopfenstopfer

Reads 3038 • Replies 27 • Started Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:57:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 04:02 Wed 8/24/2011

Well now...last night I had another bottle of the 10 I got a few weeks ago and that have been in my cellar ever since. It has what I call a "walnut" characteristic that I have encountered in countless slightly infected beers in the past, and it was extremely gassy, though it didn’t gush when I opened it. The hoppiness is now overpowered by this funk, which is a shame.

I don’t mean to say that the beer *is* infected, but it could be. Or it could be that the yeast is too wonky. Very disappointing either way. I have a couple of bottles left.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 02:07 Mon 10/3/2011

Originally posted by Erlangernick
Well now...last night I had another bottle of the 10 I got a few weeks ago and that have been in my cellar ever since. It has what I call a "walnut" characteristic that I have encountered in countless slightly infected beers in the past, and it was extremely gassy, though it didn’t gush when I opened it. The hoppiness is now overpowered by this funk, which is a shame.

I don’t mean to say that the beer *is* infected, but it could be. Or it could be that the yeast is too wonky. Very disappointing either way. I have a couple of bottles left.

A second update: Had another bottle the other night (dated fresh until mid-Oktober) and it gushed and gushed. Infected, no hop flavour or aroma left, it’s all been taken over by the infection.

Such a pity.

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 15:04 Thu 10/6/2011

A second update: Had another bottle the other night (dated fresh until mid-Oktober) and it gushed and gushed. Infected, no hop flavour or aroma left, it’s all been taken over by the infection.

Such a pity.

I still have an "old" one at home, but in the fridge; I will try it some time soon...

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 15:09 Thu 10/6/2011

Anyway, just to be fair, think of what happens with Russian River Pliny the Younger (or RRPTY if I were American and like to spend more time coding and decoding rather than typing )

They make a huge point about their beer being available only if fresh.

So in order to be fair we have to say that the Häffner when fresh tastes great.
I love the Häffner Citra Ale, at least when it’s fresh.
So different from the usual APAs and IPAs we find in NA and Scandinavia (and Scotland).

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 03:18 Fri 10/7/2011

Originally posted by fiulijn
Anyway, just to be fair, think of what happens with Russian River Pliny the Younger (or RRPTY if I were American and like to spend more time coding and decoding rather than typing )

They make a huge point about their beer being available only if fresh.

So in order to be fair we have to say that the Häffner when fresh tastes great.
I love the Häffner Citra Ale, at least when it’s fresh.
So different from the usual APAs and IPAs we find in NA and Scandinavia (and Scotland).

Well my bottles are still within their expiry dates, so technically --and legally-- they are fresh (mindistens haltbar bis 14.10.11.). An infection is a problem regardless of age, though of course will get worse over time and aren’t so noticeable earlier.

In this case, it’s clear to me that the excessive sediment and the "Euro-ish" yeastiness I described after first drinking the beer are due to an infection or problem with the yeast. Once he clears this problem up (and hopefully switches to Nottingham yeast!) then it will be a great APA.

fiulijn
beers 28318 º places 745 º 14:31 Fri 10/28/2011

This may have not been noticed, but there is a new entry for Häffner, a self-defined Quad Christmas beer:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/haffner-brau-hopfenstopfer-christmas-strong-ale/156945/

Only 38 bottles available...

Koelschtrinker
beers 28835 º places 22 º 10:04 Sat 11/26/2011

I have an extra bottle if someone wants it but can’t get it anymore.