Hair of the Dog Dave Clone

Reads 16464 • Replies 89 • Started Tuesday, June 2, 2009 8:50:03 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

badbeer
beers 434 º 22:40 Wed 6/3/2009

Do we actually even know that Dave is 29%? Was it tested by a lab, or was it incorrectly assumed to be 29% based on how much it was condensed?

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 22:41 Wed 6/3/2009

Originally posted by badbeer
was it incorrectly assumed to be 29% based on how much it was condensed?

That one.

JoeMcPhee
beers 12092 º places 543 º 22:42 Wed 6/3/2009

Originally posted by badbeer
Do we actually even know that Dave is 29%? Was it tested by a lab, or was it incorrectly assumed to be 29% based on how much it was condensed?

There is no way Dave was 29%... likely closer to 18-20%.

darkguardian
beers 736 º places 2 º 02:12 Thu 6/4/2009

Err based on everything being said here wouldn’t the variance put Dave more in the range of 23-30%? I’m sure Alan is going with the high side so at most 30 surely. But would it really be off more than 9%. I would think variance would be closer to 6%.

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 06:21 Thu 6/4/2009

Originally posted by darkguardian
Err based on everything being said here wouldn’t the variance put Dave more in the range of 23-30%? I’m sure Alan is going with the high side so at most 30 surely. But would it really be off more than 9%. I would think variance would be closer to 6%.

No, because the concentration of alcohol in the frozen substance gets higher and higher the more you freeze. Freezing off 2/3 of a 10% beer means the maximum possible you can have is 30%, but he obviously wouldn’t have even close to that. In reality one would assume his numbers to be closer to something like 70% concentration increase in the first 50% frozen off (up to 17%), and then maybe 30% in the next 1/3rd, giving him 22% or so.

darkguardian
beers 736 º places 2 º 07:37 Thu 6/4/2009

No, because the concentration of alcohol in the frozen substance gets higher and higher the more you freeze. Freezing off 2/3 of a 10% beer means the maximum possible you can have is 30%, but he obviously wouldn’t have even close to that. In reality one would assume his numbers to be closer to something like 70% concentration increase in the first 50% frozen off (up to 17%), and then maybe 30% in the next 1/3rd, giving him 22% or so.

Thats actually what I was thinking. 22% if he is assuming 28 or 29% is about 6%. 22 or 23% sounds about right. I don’t think it would be below 20% though.

OldSock
08:46 Fri 6/12/2009

It won’t be for a couple of weeks, but we will have the answer. It turns out one of the science types in my homebrew club has the equipment to measure alcohol content in his home lab. We aren’t going to have the time to get together for the 4 hour test until after the 4th, so don’t expect the results anytime soon.

All prognostications welcome, I’m going to say 20%+.

TheBeerSommelier
08:50 Fri 6/12/2009

Originally posted by OldSock
It won’t be for a couple of weeks, but we will have the answer. It turns out one of the science types in my homebrew club has the equipment to measure alcohol content in his home lab. We aren’t going to have the time to get together for the 4 hour test until after the 4th, so don’t expect the results anytime soon.

I say 75% abv. Why not aim high?

gunhaver
beers 1030 º places 13 º 09:05 Fri 6/12/2009

i’m betting it’s less than the base beer

JoeMcPhee
beers 12092 º places 543 º 11:06 Fri 6/12/2009

Do you know what technique he uses for determining it? There are some that will work, and some that won’t.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer