Has anyone used Mauribrew dry yeasts?

Reads 4256 • Replies 6 • Started Monday, August 13, 2012 11:18:12 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

seymour
beers 2594 º places 50 º 11:18 Mon 8/13/2012

There is an ale yeast, lager yeast, and Weiss yeast, all offered by a large Australian corporation primarily focused on baking technology, ingredients, etc. I’ve read that AB Mauri is also the uncredited lab now producing the classic Coopers dry yeast packets. Regardless, they claim to have adapted these three brewing strains to remain true-to-style even in very warm climates. I’m skeptical that it’s mostly a marketing claim, but it’s theoretically possible and I’d love to know for sure.

If you’ve actually brewed beer using any Mauribrew yeasts, please share your experiences. How warm did you ferment? How clean was the resulting beer? What kind of esters and phenols did you get, and how strong were they?

Thanks!

suprchunk
beers 2996 º places 147 º 11:51 Mon 8/13/2012

I have some, but have yet to use it. I’ll probably be using it in the next week or two. I will try and post back to let you know.

Gazza
beers 727 º places 167 º 12:14 Mon 8/13/2012

Tasted beer made with them. The ale yeast has a very distinctive taste akin to Nottingham and I didn’t like it at all; overshadows hop flavours and tastes a bit strange.

dEnk
beers 4200 º places 33 º 12:36 Mon 8/13/2012

I brewed a batch of american pale ale, and fermented halve with the mauribrew weiss and dryhopped it with saaz as an experiment and it turned out great. Subtle banana and lemon notes, which combined awesome with the american c hops and the herbal notes of the saaz. Next batch is going to be all mauribrew weiss :)

seymour
beers 2594 º places 50 º 10:22 Tue 8/14/2012

Originally posted by dEnk

I brewed a batch of american pale ale, and fermented halve with the mauribrew weiss and dryhopped it with saaz as an experiment and it turned out great. Subtle banana and lemon notes, which combined awesome with the american c hops and the herbal notes of the saaz. Next batch is going to be all mauribrew weiss :)

Thanks for the response. I’m curious about your comparison, what was the other half fermented with? And, did your recipe contain any wheat?

dEnk
beers 4200 º places 33 º 11:21 Wed 8/15/2012

The other halve was fermented with safale us-05, and dryhopped with cascade. While nice, it wasn’t anything special (not that I expected it to be) but the weiss really surprised me.

I guess other weiss yeasts would impart more banana/lemon/weizen flavour, but for this combo it was just the right amount.

About 8% flaked wheat was used. (next time i’ll use wheat malt, but it was unavailable then)

seymour
beers 2594 º places 50 º 14:10 Wed 8/15/2012

Thanks for the info. Wheat malt is great if you got it, but unmalted wheat is perfectly fine, especially if you do a multi-step mash. To save money, I’ve even used plain ol’ cracked wheat or bulgur from the grocery store with excellent results.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer