Hilarious journal article on "bullshit" in wine ratings

Reads 3369 • Replies 28 • Started Monday, July 9, 2012 10:17:05 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 22:17 Mon 7/9/2012

Enjoy

this was just assigned reading to me at Hopkins

Rciesla
beers 5497 º places 3 º 22:39 Mon 7/9/2012

What do these descriptions tell us? Not counting color, and not being two fussy about
how we count the attributes, the fi rst description has 20, the second 8 and the last 15 taste
attributes. Consider the Yquem. The eight fl avors are honey, raisin, jam, quince, fi g, hazelnut,
orange and mandarin. The last two of these “fi ll the mouth;” hence they are likely to
provide powerful taste sensations. We have only a hint of honey, raisin and jam and the
quince, fi g and hazelnut have only subtly aromas. Are we being told that these six subtle
aromas that are only hinted at are not drowned out by the powerful orange and mandarin
fl avors? This is bullshit of the first order.

Love this.

Rciesla
beers 5497 º places 3 º 22:42 Mon 7/9/2012

Then again, maybe one flavor like fig the person associated with other fruits so whenever they mention fig for example they always note attribute X,Y,Z and so forth. Thats more then likely the case, i’m sure we are all guilty of this to some extent. And if you don’t agree feel free to call me out on my Bullshit.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 22:50 Mon 7/9/2012

Château L’Ordure Pomerol, 2004. Fine minerality, dried apricots and cedar characterize this sage-laden wine bursting with black fruit and toasty oak. The inky wine
supported by dusty yet silky tannins surprises with its hint of orange overlaid on
crushed rock and is redolent with re? ned fruit, smoked game, hot ? g and graphite.

MicroGrog
beers 3249 º places 165 º 23:08 Mon 7/9/2012

Spicy earth

steview
beers 1037 º places 21 º 23:31 Mon 7/9/2012

I have that tiny bullshit book, On Bullshit. I don’t know where I put it. It’s got that geeky humor that’ll satisfy you if you’ve been involved in the subject matter. But otherwise, I thought it sucked. For the book On Bullshit, it’s the subject of philosophy

Anyway, the rip on wine (beer) ratings was funny!

erickok
beers 6033 º places 274 º 00:01 Tue 7/10/2012

If anything, this confirms we need a Journal of Beer Economics. I will read that.

b3shine
beers 12189 º places 372 º 03:58 Tue 7/10/2012

Originally posted by steview
I have that tiny bullshit book, On Bullshit. I don’t know where I put it. It’s got that geeky humor that’ll satisfy you if you’ve been involved in the subject matter. But otherwise, I thought it sucked. For the book On Bullshit, it’s the subject of philosophy

Anyway, the rip on wine (beer) ratings was funny!

We had to read On Bullshit for my PhD Quantitative Methods class, and actually did a whole assignment about measuring bullshit (there was a retort to the book and then Frankfurt responded to the retort). I thought it was pretty interesting, and it made me think twice and start verifying information on my own when someone says something I’m not sure of. Not that I needed a reason to be anymore cynical, but the fact is, most people are bullshitters - whether they mean to be or not. FYI, here’s the link to the book.

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/7929.html

Alen
places 1 º 23:23 Thu 7/12/2012

This article made me laugh. But let’s face it, that same bullshit exists even on the beer ratings and descriptions here. I don’t know how someone finds 10 types of fruits in an IPA description.

DYCSoccer17
beers 3746 º places 344 º 00:19 Fri 7/13/2012

Some ratings on this site read like horoscopes. List enough shit, and you’re bound to be correct on a few of them.

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 07:44 Fri 7/13/2012

Originally posted by Alen
This article made me laugh. But let’s face it, that same bullshit exists even on the beer ratings and descriptions here. I don’t know how someone finds 10 types of fruits in an IPA description.

well depends on the hops used and some esters come about as the beer warms while other fade to the background. 10 is a tall order for any beer but completely plausible.